General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please explain the chaps beef. ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please explain the chaps beef. ?????

I do not own a pair of chaps. I read all the time on this forum that chaps are gay, your in the village people if you wear them and so on. I thought they were for rider protection. I ride an Ultra so I really dont think I need them, but what about a sportster, dyna or softail riders. I see dudes wearing them and I dont think ***. I think they need them for rain, bugs and chit. Is there a differece between assless and regular chaps. It is not my intention to be a troll, that is antother thing here I dont understand, but I just dont get the hang up with the chaps. I see them evrywhere an all kinds of dudes. Why is that people think they are queer if the purpose is protection. If I dump my scoot, God forbid, I want to be protected. DO people really raz the chaps becuase the village people wore them. Please explain this one to me, and if this post is considered a "troll" post forgive me and get someone to cancel it. thanks and sorry at the same time, just in case.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 AM
ogh11756
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear chaps if the temp is 50 degrees or below.
Or if it is going to rain.
Don't much give a chit what anyone else thinks about it!
And no, i am not gay

Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

I have worn my chaps on my; Sportsters, FXRs and Road King. They are good in many kinds of less than ideal weather. I sometimes even wear chaps in very hot weather with shorts underneath, on long rides. I get where I am going, chaps off and the shorts are on - comfy.
People here just like to throw some **** at people. I figure it is all in good fun and I don't take it seriously. And besides that, I do what I think is right for me. I have been using the same pair of chaps for 17 years, they are a trustworthy piece of gear.
So, what brand of oil are you using there Timmy? J/K

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear them when it's cold out, that's about.

ALL chaps are assless, if they aren't assless then they are called leather pants.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think leather overpants are the best protection. Chaps won't protect you much if you go down sliding on your ****.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't care at all who wears them (i seriously don't care at all) but they're not for me. at the end of the day we cut our hair a certain way (or don't cut it at all), get certain tattoos, maybe work out and watch our diets, dress a certain way. we do this to be comfortable in our own skin and like how we present ourselves. to me chaps are ridiculous looking and i wouldn't be comfortable wearing them in public, i wouldn't wear spandex on a road bicycle or a speedo on a european beach either (even though lots of other folks were doing it).

Old 05-13-2011, 07:51 AM
BearNVa
Road Captain

Is there really such a thing as assless chaps? I wouldn't mind having a pair of good chaps. I've never worn them but have a few friends that do, most are policemen.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 AM
BearNVa
Road Captain

Originally Posted by misaac
I wear them when it's cold out, that's about.

ALL chaps are assless, if they aren't assless then they are called leather pants.

Oooops, guess I posted to slowly....

Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear mine in the cold.. 45*F and below.. never thought about wearing them with shorts underneath then taking them off when i get somewhere, not a bad idea..though might look funny. but yeah, they keep the wind off my legs, though the kibbles and bits still get pretty darn cold.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a pair and wear them when it's cold. When I get to where I'm going I take them off because I don't like the way they look in the but when walking around with my jeans. I see guys wearing them all the time in HD stores, not me, it looks dumb. JMO

I even take my DO rag off when we go into eat or for other stuff. I only wear it to keep my head from sweating in my helmet and I don't wear my fingerless gloves around either. I'm probably a poser, yep that's it.

Quick Reply: Please explain the chaps beef. ?????