General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on the inside of rims! Rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:01 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rust on the inside of rims! Rant

Ok so the front tire was getting worn so I could almost see the air through it so I decided it was time to change it. Called a buddy and we decided to change it. So we break it down and remove the old (from the factory)tire and the rim was rusted all the way around on the inside next to the spokes. This bike is only 3 years old, hardly ever ridden in the rain. Never sits in the rain or outside.
This is bad because he just changed the tires on his Honda and there was no rust inside the rim. We are always raggin each other about Hondas and Harleys and now this embarrassment. Harley has really went by the wayside with quality. I was seriously considering another new Harley in the spring, now I am having second thoughts. This is not the first experience with poor quality from Harley that I have seen.
Seems MOCO just wants to sell bikes and does not care about quality anymore.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
Ok so the front tire was getting worn so I could almost see the air through it so I decided it was time to change it. Called a buddy and we decided to change it. So we break it down and remove the old (from the factory)tire and the rim was rusted all the way around on the inside next to the spokes. This bike is only 3 years old, hardly ever ridden in the rain. Never sits in the rain or outside.
This is bad because he just changed the tires on his Honda and there was no rust inside the rim. We are always raggin each other about Hondas and Harleys and now this embarrassment. Harley has really went by the wayside with quality. I was seriously considering another new Harley in the spring, now I am having second thoughts. This is not the first experience with poor quality from Harley that I have seen.
Seems MOCO just wants to sell bikes and does not care about quality anymore.
As you have a chrome steel rim this is almost unavoidable as compressed air has moisture in it. Most air compressors have water traps on them but depending on where you fill your tires they may not have water traps or may never drain them. Does your buddy's bike have steel or aluminum wheels/rims?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wet air bud .can't avoid it

Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup, you should have used Arizona air, its a dry air, no rust.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

What's a little rust? WD49 and 0000 steel wool and it's gone until the next tire. Repeat as needed until the bike is very old and gets traded in.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Like the others---wet air? I don't use nitrogen but my air compressor has a couple of dryers and filters. My air is dry, needs to be for spray painting. I have a 98 Wideglide and an 03 Heritage Softtail with spoked rims. The inside of the rims is still not rusty. I know that tubes lose air but I never thought about or wondered if damp air moves moisture to the rims.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 454 Likes on 315 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem...here is what happened to my Road King Classic

Attached Thumbnails Rust on the inside of rims! Rant-100_0411.jpg   Rust on the inside of rims! Rant-100_0415.jpg  

Last edited by elPrez; 05-20-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM
pedallingfool
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

elPrez, that's one ugly picture... how old was the wheel when she split?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

If there was a tube in there,i dont think it was caused by water in air compressors.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Since this is a spoke rim, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and blame moisture in the air. After all, you use a tube, so the air is contained and you have a rim strip around the wheel where the spokes penetrate. I'm going to blame bad install. There should be some grease used between the rim strip and the rim to avoid water condensation in that area. I can't remember off the top of my head what it is, but it should be listed in the manual. However, he'd only be dealing with condensation from atmospheric pressure changes and not the air in his tube.

Last edited by Phrogman; 05-20-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: clarification of wheel/tire

Quick Reply: Rust on the inside of rims! Rant