General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First bad Sturgis experiance

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Rammer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bad Sturgis experiance

This trip to Sturgis has to be the worst yet for me and my buddies. First mine and a buddies bikes were towed away off of 3rd and Lazelle. We were parked by about 40 other bikes on third st and only about 5 or 6 were towed. 2 of the bikes that were parked about 3 bikes away that didn't get towed were blocking a fire hydrant. How do you pick just a few bikes out of 40 or more and only tow those. So we find out where the were towed and walk the 2-3 miles to get them. I was expecting a $50-$60 tow bill.....uhmmm NO. They charged $140 to tow the bikes......a piece. We argued but to no avail. I called today to ask the tow company how much they would charge me to tow my "broken down bike" from main to a local address, the lady said $63. Price gouging? I think so. Next another buddy had his t-bag stolen off his bike with his and his wifes rain gear and a couple brand new sweatshirts from Harley and a couple pairs of riding glasses. Now to top it off the people we rented from e-mailed say they would not be giving our $500 deposit back because of a spot on their carpet and a set of blinds that would not open. Man it was expensive this year. All that said I will still go back but we seemed to be jinxed this year. I have contact the chamber of commerce in Sturgis and they agreed that the towing company was gouging and gave me some numbers to report them but not sure what good it will do. Sorry about being long winded but I am still kinda of pissed of

Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,883 Likes on 1,493 Posts

If it makes you feel better, I paid $165.00 for a tow for a flat rear tire. Ripped it apart at an on ramp in MN.

But, we met some people at the hotel we got towed too for the night and had a freakin blast.

Got a new tire and hit the road in the AM.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, wife and I are planning to go next year

Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow I was there for 9 days with hubby for our honeymoon with our two bikes and never had any problems. We parked on multi street, had bags act on the bikes, act not a single problem the whole time we were there.
Maybe it was just a string of bad expensive luck.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Saphira
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you should complain. If you do not then the tow company will be more than happy to take your or another rider's money next year.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

My buddy and I were thinking the same thing when we were there - they are gouging us everywhere we go. But, we looked at it this way - that one to two week period is when that town makes ALL of its money for the year. I didn't let it bother me too much.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

waaaah! hate it for ya but ya need to grow up and realize the world is what it is.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rammer
This trip to Sturgis has to be the worst yet for me and my buddies. First mine and a buddies bikes were towed away off of 3rd and Lazelle. We were parked by about 40 other bikes on third st and only about 5 or 6 were towed. 2 of the bikes that were parked about 3 bikes away that didn't get towed were blocking a fire hydrant. How do you pick just a few bikes out of 40 or more and only tow those. So we find out where the were towed and walk the 2-3 miles to get them. I was expecting a $50-$60 tow bill.....uhmmm NO. They charged $140 to tow the bikes......a piece. We argued but to no avail. I called today to ask the tow company how much they would charge me to tow my "broken down bike" from main to a local address, the lady said $63. Price gouging? I think so. Next another buddy had his t-bag stolen off his bike with his and his wifes rain gear and a couple brand new sweatshirts from Harley and a couple pairs of riding glasses. Now to top it off the people we rented from e-mailed say they would not be giving our $500 deposit back because of a spot on their carpet and a set of blinds that would not open. Man it was expensive this year. All that said I will still go back but we seemed to be jinxed this year. I have contact the chamber of commerce in Sturgis and they agreed that the towing company was gouging and gave me some numbers to report them but not sure what good it will do. Sorry about being long winded but I am still kinda of pissed of
There you have it. Why I will never go to Sturgis for the rally.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We got there Wednesday and left the following Thursday. Once Saturday rolled around the prices dropped by half and by Tuesday t-shirts were less than $10. The locals even hate the gouging that goes on

Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,925 Likes on 17,478 Posts

Good luck bitching about the gouging to ANYONE there the whole town is in cahoots and get stone deaf when the pigeons squeal . Got drunk with the mayor and the local paper editor back in 1990 , they told me the rally accounts for 75% of entire areas income for the year . Fast forward 22 yrs and look at how off the hook commercialized & predatory the place has become I suspect that figure is higher now .

Quick Reply: First bad Sturgis experiance