General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for all you springer experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for all you springer experts

Anyone that has adjusted the fallaway on the steering head of a springer knows that the balance point of the front end is right of center. This is also evident when your going down the road with no hands. The bike tends to pull slightly to the right. I am wondering why this is designed into the springer front end. Also...I have notice that the springer's front wheel does not sit in the middle of the springer fork. It is actually off to one side. Why is this and why doesn't the Moco design a front end that is balanced in the center?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Regardless of the forks center line balance, you can still set the bike up to run perfectly straight going down the road no handed. The bike has axle adjusters and its quite simple to adjust them. If the bike pulls a tad to the right, adjust the left adjuster a turn or two till it goes perfectly straight. If it pulls to the left, adjust the right axle adjuster. Never depend on the stealership or manufacture to make your bike perfect. Only you can do that. As to why the wheel is a tad off center..... I don't know. Both sets of Springers I have had mounted on my bike were exactly the same way as yours.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Regardless of the forks center line balance, you can still set the bike up to run perfectly straight going down the road no handed. The bike has axle adjusters and its quite simple to adjust them. If the bike pulls a tad to the right, adjust the left adjuster a turn or two till it goes perfectly straight. If it pulls to the left, adjust the right axle adjuster. Never depend on the stealership or manufacture to make your bike perfect. Only you can do that. As to why the wheel is a tad off center..... I don't know. Both sets of Springers I have had mounted on my bike were exactly the same way as yours.
You mentioned axle adjusters. Are you talking about the rear wheel adjusters? I'm a little confused.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

That's a very good question, sounds very odd to me. You would think after all these years they could get it right..haha
So, you are saying all the springer front ends pull to the right? That just doesn't make sense to me. But what do I know? :-)

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Correct. My mistake for being vague. The rear axle adjusters are essential in getting the bike to run straight down the road. Obviously, I don't mean they are to correct bent or broken parts, but their adjustment is critical to the motorcycles overall alignment. I am frankly stunned how many new Harley's I have ridden that didn't go straight from the factory. But a quick adjustment of the rear axle adjusters does wonders to align the bike and make it run straight.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Just had my Springer front end rebuilt, and it runs very straight, smooth and true. Better than when it was new.