General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lift a softail?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
Default How to lift a softail?

I just picked up a 1500 lb bike lift from Northern Tool and if I center it under the Fatboy it hits on the shocks. What do you guys do? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
oc1014
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a piece of scrap 2x under your jiffy stand. It will give you enough room to slide the lift under.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or just rock your bike a bit to the side opposite the jack. Mine did that too and all I had to do was put my hip against it to lift it about 1/2". Or run your front wheel up on a 1"X4" piece of lumber.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Joker's back
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roll the bike so the rear wheel rests on a piece of flat wide wood of the height you need to get the lift under. It's how you jack up a slammed car.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
Or just rock your bike a bit to the side opposite the jack. Mine did that too and all I had to do was put my hip against it to lift it about 1/2". Or run your front wheel up on a 1"X4" piece of lumber.
Sorry, I didn't describe my problem very well. Yep, I did what oc1014 said. I put the jiffy stand on a 2X4 and was able to slide the bike lift under the bike. The problem is when I actually start lifting the bike. On softails the shocks are underneath the bike and I'm worried about pushing up on them while lifting the bike. If I put the lift in front of the shocks only the front tire lifts off the floor. Any solutions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

I cut a couple pieces of 1"X4" and laid them on my jack just under the frame tubes, running front to back, not from side to side.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker's back
Roll the bike so the rear wheel rests on a piece of flat wide wood of the height you need to get the lift under. It's how you jack up a slammed car.
I do this on my Badboy because it is lowered and it works well. On my Lo I can just lean the bike to the opposite side the stand is on and I can wheel it underneath. It depends on the height of the stand I guess, but the wood trick is easy and works well.

Edit: I just read your last post. I lift both my bikes often, and have never damaged the shocks.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not going to hurt the shocks by lifting the bike. Been doing it with no aids on the wifes 2006 Deluxe since we got it new. NEVER a problem of any kind. Its not as if you are slamming the shock with a sledge hammer...you are just lifting on it, and it will move enough to lift with no issues.

Hell, I have even left the bike on the jack over the winter, and still had no issues...Its a bike, not a china doll.

Don't worry so much, and enjoy the bike.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 PM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep jacking it up the other tire will lift eventually

Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I cut a couple pieces of 1"X4" and laid them on my jack just under the frame tubes, running front to back, not from side to side.
Good advice. I used 1x2s 'cause they were laying there. I would NEVER lift my softie with the weight on the shocks. Got a J&S jack recently: no problem clearing the shocks and so frikkin stable, it's unreal. Anybody want a POS 20 year old used jack ?????? Only $1, but $500.00 freight and/or beer!

Quick Reply: How to lift a softail?