General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 660 Wiring Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zumo 660 Wiring Help Please

Just got the HD Zumo 660 and I am not sure about the wiring. I intend to wire it up to the accessory switch using the Deutch connector under the seat. My question: the wiring harness with the Zumo has fused end with a black wire. I know those are the hot and ground leads that I wire into the Deutch connector. Now the other connectors on the harness I assume are for a Harley specific mount, is that correct? I plan on getting the a mount from Iron Aces Speed Shop, since I don't want wires going down my 12 inch apes on my RG. So my thinking is that I can just disregard those other connectors and tie them off. Am I on the right track?

This is the Iron Aces Mount I will be using http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/pro...-gps-mount.cfm

I figure this is the best way to hide the wires. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzy
the wiring harness with the Zumo has fused end with a black wire. I know those are the hot and ground leads. Now the other connectors on the harness I assume are for a Harley specific mount, is that correct?

This is the Iron Aces Mount I will be using
I also have the HD version. I believe one (of the 3 extras) is an accessory input, one is an output, and I don't recall what the mini usb was for. Sat radio maybe? I'm using the output as I have the GPS (full of MP3's) piped into my communication system. The other 2 are just coiled up under my dash.

Love that mount you're going to use. Will look into that when I step up to the Ultra.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I simply fabricated an adaptor harness to convert my SAE battery charge plug to the common 12V female cigarette lighter style accesory plug. This is great for me as the same acessory plug powers my Zumo 660, my heated gear, and ipod . I don't have the Harley specific accessory Zumo 660 kit, I have a standard store bought version that uses a common 12V accesory plug. I also just used a RAM mount, as I have 2 other bikes (using the same RAM setup) that all can use the same GPS . Me personally don't need my GPS installed all the time, so I went the "temporary as needed " type install .

Last edited by Road_Clam; 11-10-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure how the wiring goes but it looks like the wiring is pretty well discribed in the manual that is available as PDF. On my wiring BTW it is the red wire that is 2A fused. It is connected to a blue, switched live wire. What baffles me is that you go out to buy a HD Zumo (so the Roadtech) which is specifically designed to work with a Harley's HK radio and then go for a non compatible mount which completely destroyes the compatibility. You could have saved yourself hundreds of Dollars by buying the normal Garmin Zumo. Spending some of these savings could have paid for shop installation of the thing.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
You could have saved yourself hundreds of Dollars by buying the normal Garmin Zumo. Spending some of these savings could have paid for shop installation of the thing.
Yup. I got my warranted "refurbished" universal 660 for $180 off ebay. Love it works awesome, and can see the screen good in the sunlight, I can also swap the mount and run it in my cages.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_Clam
I don't have the Harley specific accessory Zumo 660 kit, I have a standard store bought version that uses a common 12V accesory plug. I also just used a RAM mount, as I have 2 other bikes (using the same RAM setup) that all can use the same GPS . Me personally don't need my GPS installed all the time, so I went the "temporary as needed " type install .
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
I got my warranted "refurbished" universal 660 for $180 off ebay.
To me, it sounds like you have a Garmin NUVI 660 and not a Garmin ZUMO 660
The Zumo's come with 2 mounts - one for the bike which gets wired in and one universal mount/power plug for cage use.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
I'm not sure how the wiring goes but it looks like the wiring is pretty well discribed in the manual that is available as PDF. On my wiring BTW it is the red wire that is 2A fused. It is connected to a blue, switched live wire. What baffles me is that you go out to buy a HD Zumo (so the Roadtech) which is specifically designed to work with a Harley's HK radio and then go for a non compatible mount which completely destroyes the compatibility. You could have saved yourself hundreds of Dollars by buying the normal Garmin Zumo. Spending some of these savings could have paid for shop installation of the thing.
The mount that Harley offers for Road Glide installation is a handlebar mount. In order to use that I would have to run the wires down the handlebars, since I have internalized wires I don't want to have extra wires on the outside of my handlebars. Using the mount that I bought, I might conceivably be able to have the radio interface go into that at a future date. It's a cleaner install to me.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzy
The mount that Harley offers for Road Glide installation is a handlebar mount. In order to use that I would have to run the wires down the handlebars, since I have internalized wires I don't want to have extra wires on the outside of my handlebars. Using the mount that I bought, I might conceivably be able to have the radio interface go into that at a future date. It's a cleaner install to me.
OK, if that's your intention it was not such a bad idea.