Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo batwing wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:15 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Zumo batwing wiring?

I would like to do this myself as long as I won't f up the bike. Can anyone tell me the best place to wire in my Zumo in the Batwing, and how to do it. Thanks! I have the Garmin wire already.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 AM
oscarg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine this weekend. I took oofthe outer fairing and used the extra power and ground behind the head light. its is a igntion wire is you need to wait a few seconds after turn on ingtion before you yurn on the zumo. I did a search and there are several helpful threads

Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarg
I just did mine this weekend. I took oofthe outer fairing and used the extra power and ground behind the head light. its is a igntion wire is you need to wait a few seconds after turn on ingtion before you yurn on the zumo. I did a search and there are several helpful threads
Agreed, that is gthe best place to hook it up. Wire and connectors are already there. makes it fast and easy, with no mistakes. Should take no more than 45 min to install, tie down excess wire, nad have reassembled and on the road.

DO NOT cut off excess wire from the Zumo mount. Simply gather it up and put a zip tie around it, and tie it to something so it doesn't rattle.

By not cutting off the excess, if one day you wish to change bikes, you can simply switch it over, and not have to worry about having enough wire, or having to splice.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is some good advise. you can also solder it to the backside of your cig lighter or get a cig lighter adapter and just plug it in.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

I have mine set up on the accessory switch.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went with the acc switch. Ran the power cable under the tank to the plug.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

I just put a ciger lighter adapter on it and keep it plugged into the lighter. Worked good for a year so far.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley is releasing a fairing mount for the batwing at the upcomming dealer meeting.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
I just put a ciger lighter adapter on it and keep it plugged into the lighter. Worked good for a year so far.
Yep, I did the exact same thing. I got the adapter from a marine supply place. The good thing about this method is that when you remove the Zumo, there are no wires left on your bike. You just have the RAM mount, and it's two screws if I want to remove that. HD recomends not using the lighter to power devices, but so far there's been no problem.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraDuke
that is some good advise. you can also solder it to the backside of your cig lighter or get a cig lighter adapter and just plug it in.
That's exactly how I did it. Works great, and no need to take apart the fairing to install/remove.

Quick Reply: Zumo batwing wiring?