General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle stands and enclosed trailers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Motorcycle stands and enclosed trailers

I have a new enclosed trailer ordered and I am paying quite a bit for coin rubber flooring. I intend on using a heavy duty motorcycle stand while transporting the bike. I am not crazy about the idea of screwing holes in the floor but my gut says that the stand wont slid with the bike in place on the coin rubber floor. Any one have any experiance here?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,983 Likes on 680 Posts

No experience with that but I have to ask a question here. Why would you not want to secure your bike as good as you can? I mean the coin floor can't cost as much as the bike.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
teflon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bolt it down! I just did a big trailer 20' and put in 4 wheel chocks. Bolts right thru with no issues, put some big washers under the floor. If your real concerned seal it after you bolt them down. Teflon

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bikenut1957
No experience with that but I have to ask a question here. Why would you not want to secure your bike as good as you can? I mean the coin floor can't cost as much as the bike.
3 Rows of E track..One down the center and 1 each side, low profile and infinite choices for tie downs. Can't trip over it in the dark either.

Mark

Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Jbizzle
Road Captain

Try Frame Lock. I know you don't wanna drill holes, but I've researched this topic thoroughly and to me, this is the best way to secure a bike in an enclosed trailer. I've included a link to their website. http://www.framelock.com/

Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Drill the holes, be safe! OK, I didn't want to post up my stupidity, but since you asked...

I didn't bolt mine down, and used my condor strapped down tightly, had done it a few times before, and got away with it, Not this time though.

This time my van broke down, and had to have my friend come and pick up the trailer with my road king in it. When we got home, I had to jack up the trailer as high as it would go to get it off his high hitch. It was late, and I went inside for the night after getting the trailer off. Got up in the morning, and went and opened up the trailer, to my horror, I found my road king on it's side! The front wheel was still securely in the chock, but the bike and chock fell over on it's side!

Apparently I had not tightened the straps as they should have been, and that combined with jacking the front of the trailer up so high, the front straps loosened up from the chock sliding back some, letting the bike fall over when the trailer was jacked up so high.
I learned my lesson, and bolted that thing down!
Luckily, this must have happened in my yard when we jacked up the trailer, other wise it would have been a nightmare of damage to my king.
I got lucky that time, the bike fell over against the wall, and only broke my left mirror!

BOLT that thing down, don't take any chances!

Last edited by Ragtop; 02-06-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM
dfndr
Road Master

I went to a carpet remnant store and bought very nice industrial vinyl floor piece for less than $15 and cut it precisely and used a few small tacks in the corners. You can screw or bolt wheel chock right thru it. Oil and dirt clean up easily. Has lasted for years.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not familiar with your type flooring but I once ordered some rubber roll flooring to put in a fifthwheel toy hauler I had. Cut it laid it in and had some aluminum bent to put around the perimeter. Looked real nice until the unit got warm inside and the stuff expanded and buckled. No I did not glue it down. Probably should have.
In my 7X12 Carmate I have 2 of recessed in floor chocks. They can only be used in the trailer that are not 16 on center floor cross members.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Doesn't matter what kind of flooring, stand or wheel chock you get if it isn't bolted down and the bike tied down securely it will move. Braking, corners, speed bumps and potholes throw things around.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Original Rumrunner
Novice

Do the math-physics. 800-900#object traveling 60-70mph when you are forced to swerve or stop suddenly! Bolts are cheaper than repairs and paint.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle stands and enclosed trailers