General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Customizing opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
jarheadjim
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Customizing opinions wanted!

Hi all,
I have a Black Denim 2012 Sportster 72 and I wanted to put my own touch on things. I have some minor cosmetic mods done so far but of course, I want to make it my own. Heres what Id like some feedback on:

Handlebars.
I love the look of the WCC Cisco tribute bike's bars. They look like a set of bars from a dresser or bagger. I really like the bend in them, the width of them and I think they look awesome on this bike. I've found them in a 1" diameter.Any thoughts as far as putting them on a sporty? Look? Fitment? Etc?
Here's a pic of the bike:

Fuel Tank.
I love the look of the "Indian Larry style" bikes. I've found some EFI ready tanks in that style. Would something like that ruin the look of the 72? My other concern is capacity. I purchased a 2" tank lift kit from a sponsor and I know that fuel range will suffer when I install the lift on my peanut tank. So, what do you folks think? Stick with the peanut? Indian Larry tank? Maybe a lifted Nightster/Iron 883 tank? I'm a fan of the frisco look and the dished tank look alike.
Here's a pic of some possible tanks I'm eyeballing..

Gimme some opinions if you like! All opinions welcome! Thanks in advance!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres countless tanks and bars out there to choose from. I dont think going with either of those would "ruin" the look for your bike. Its your bike man, do what you think will look best. As far as tank lifts go, I added a 3'' to mine, and the usable fuel wasn't effected in an noticeable way. Just take a note of where the fuel line comes out and how that changes on the tank, with your new angle and that will give you a good idea for how much will be sitting in the bottom.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:36 PM
jarheadjim
6th Gear

Roger that. Thanks bud!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed! Go for it and make it your own.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Careful about the width of the base of those bars.. if the base is wider than the narrow glide forks on your 72 it'll look wrong.

I can't offer an opinion on that tank because I think any tank larger than the 3.3 on a sporty looks wrong.

Ultimately though, noones opinion matters but your own. Enjoy yourself.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by samhallnc
Careful about the width of the base of those bars.. if the base is wider than the narrow glide forks on your 72 it'll look wrong.

I can't offer an opinion on that tank because I think any tank larger than the 3.3 on a sporty looks wrong.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
I agree with this 100%. Wide bottom apes on a sporty don't look good. You could always go with the narrow version of those bars though. However, as others have said, it's your bike, so make it into what you want.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
jarheadjim
6th Gear

Thanks for all of the input, guys. Would any of you happen to know where I could look for some more narrow base bagger bars? I'm still undecided on black bars, chrome bars, bagger bars or apes. Decisions...decisions...
I appreciate the help, folks.