General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Noods4
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential owner

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a question regarding the service needed to keep your Harley's in riding shape. I've heard that Harley's require more yearly maintenance than Japanese bikes. I believe this to be false, but I have a riding buddy who bought an '05 Ultra Classic a few years ago and it costs him $500-$1000 every spring to fix things that have broke. Another riding buddy says its not the Harley it's that my first buddy can't keep his paws from tinkering with his bike!

I've been riding a Honda VTX1300 since 2007 and I like the idea of only changing the oil and tires to keep it in riding shape. I need to upgrade to a touring bike.....okay, I WANT to upgrade to a touring bike. I had a chance to ride a 2011 Ultra Classic Limited last year for about 50 miles and Holy crap that is a nice ride! I'm torn between a used Ultra Classic or a used Goldwing.

So what's the real deal? Do '09 and newer Ultra Classic's require higher levels of maintenance?

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 04-08-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should go for the Goldwing.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I bought my HD Heritage new in 06 and in 20K miles. I've had to tighten the compensator nut and replace the rear brake pads. Nothing has ever broken or failed on it.

I also have an 11 ultra classic with 8K miles but I've not owned it that long. The dealer I got it from said the only thing the've done to it was a brake switch recall.

The rear shifter arm on the UC is loose and I can't get it tight. Since it's under warranty it's going to the dealer for that.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

To give you a direct answer.

Your buddy is not being honest or what he is doing is unnecessary or wrong to cost him that much yearly. The Harley v-twin is a time tested well designed, simple engine.

Overall ownership cost is very low and self maintenance is very easy. That being said, it is a 2 cylinder engine and for the most part you are looking at a 100,000 mile engine life before some rebuild.

Now the Goldwing. It is running a 6 cylinder known for extremely long life. 200,000-300,000 miles is not that uncommon before overhaul.

But, look at the upkeep and the ease or cost of upkeep. Start with the required valve adjustments. (Will you that yourself or send ot to the shop?) And, The winger is liquid cooled. Maybe that is good or bad, but it adds more upkeep potential issues.
Any repair work at all and you are stripping the plastics and this adds both cost and time.

Ride them both and choose the one that speaks to you.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ride them both and decide.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Goldwing rah!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold a 07' 1300r to buy my Ultra, 15k later and it's only been to the shop for the brake switch recall. If you want a wing buy a Wing, but your buddy is doing something wrong.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Road King and a Honda Shadow VT1100. The Road King only needed a throttle cable in 17 years and over 50,000 miles other than regular maintenance. The Shadow has let me down twice, and also needed an alternator stator and regulator in 34,000 miles. The wife's Sportster needed a turn signal bulb, but it's a 95 so those things go. Your buddy probably shouldn't have a motorcycle, or find another dealer.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,353 Likes on 10,706 Posts
Default Welcome........

Originally Posted by Noods4
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a question regarding the service needed to keep your Harley's in riding shape. I've heard that Harley's require more yearly maintenance than Japanese bikes. I believe this to be false, but I have a riding buddy who bought an '05 Ultra Classic a few years ago and it costs him $500-$1000 every spring to fix things that have broke. Another riding buddy says its not the Harley it's that my first buddy can't keep his paws from tinkering with his bike!

I've been riding a Honda VTX1300 since 2007 and I like the idea of only changing the oil and tires to keep it in riding shape. I need to upgrade to a touring bike.....okay, I WANT to upgrade to a touring bike. I had a chance to ride a 2011 Ultra Classic Limited last year for about 50 miles and Holy crap that is a nice ride! I'm torn between a used Ultra Classic or a used Goldwing.

So what's the real deal? Do '09 and newer Ultra Classic's require higher levels of maintenance?
1st off my friend, WELCOME to the forum.

2ndly, that is a GOOD question. In my experience HD's need minimal maintenance as a whole especially the bikes u r looking at.

The MAJOR concern I had and u may want to think about is this, u r looking at a Touring Bike. So if goes that u are likely to tour. When u tour, you KNOW there will be a Harley dealership around if u need them. But it is NOT so for the Wingers and others. <-- THAT was a big consideration of mine.

Also, and this is more personal, a HD looks and feels like the Classic Bike and to me that goes a long way.

Yes, wings are really good but it fails 1 very important tests as I mentioned above.

Have a great day and 'hope to see u on the road!

BuzzCap7

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Not a touring bike and not 09 or newer but my 05 which I bought new and now has about 70,000 miles on it has needed only one thing outside of regular wear items (brakes, light bulbs etc). That one item was the seal for the shift shaft, it was weeping a little oil at around 45,000 miles.

I've ridden it pretty hard including a round trip on the Alcan. In my opinion, they are bullet proof.

Quick Reply: Potential owner