General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rat bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM
chicanagirl
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Rat bikes

I've seen a few. Not eye candy by any means but creative anyway. Exhaust pipes made from aluminum cans. Headlights and tailights taken from junked cars. Seat from God knows where. Engine, sometimes salvaged from another bike, sometimes ordered from manufacturer. And modified of course.

So anyway anyone ehre have one if so where did you get all the parts? Are they all salvaged or did you persoanlly fabricate some of them?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:19 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

In the club, we had a guy who's "name" was Rat and he had a rat bike. It was nasty looking but it ran great. I think they're interesting to look at but I wouldn't have one.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rat bikes remind me of torn blue jeans. They might be comfortable and you don't have to worry about what else happens to them. It's not like your going to screw em up more. If I have a rat bike or torn blue jeans it is because either they are comfortable, it's all I have, or I am in a I don't give a rat's *** mood. Rat bikes and rat cars---creative junk as opposed to just junk,junk.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 601 Likes on 352 Posts

i have one. the bike develops over time. a good start, is to stop washing it for about 10 years. parts come from where ever they come from and yes, some of the parts are fabricated. the last time it was washed was in the early 90's.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 732 Likes on 405 Posts

Some of those bikes are cool. I like the non-restored, rusted, hacked together in a garage look. Some of them I think are trying too hard though and just weld a bunch of crap on a POS old bike.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Some are really nice with raw finishes. Those are the ones that I like, not the thrown together ones. I've seen some nice ones on E-Bay. In fact one is on there now.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I was considering making mine a RATT a couple of years ago but like bagga said, they just have to happen over time. I do wash mine from time to time (about three times a year) just the shut the OL up.

It is my understanding that RATT is the correct way to spell it, it stands for "Ridden All The Time.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
Some are really nice with raw finishes. Those are the ones that I like, not the thrown together ones. I've seen some nice ones on E-Bay. In fact one is on there now.
Ya i like the raw finish old school look but not the ones that look like a bunch of garbage was just thrown together.. Im more of a rat rod fan myself then a rat bike!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,847 Likes on 2,076 Posts

Originally Posted by chicanagirl

I've seen a few. Not eye candy by any means but creative anyway. Exhaust pipes made from aluminum cans. Headlights and tailights taken from junked cars. Seat from God knows where. Engine, sometimes salvaged from another bike, sometimes ordered from manufacturer. And modified of course.

So anyway anyone ehre have one if so where did you get all the parts? Are they all salvaged or did you persoanlly fabricate some of them?
friend of mine here in South Texas.

has been to Sturgis and back from South Texas nine times.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

There's a local bike show that we go to each year. I spend most of my time looking at the 15 to 20 rat bikes. This year...not a one. That's the thing I remember most about this years show. I like the simple functionality.

Quick Reply: Rat bikes