General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation? on the Infotainment Screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Retired Guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Condensation? on the Infotainment Screen

This morning I was headed to my local HD dealer to discuss the clutch recall on my 14 Limited. It was in the low 50's high 40's and after leaving my home I noticed the screen on the infotainment center appeared as if it had a greasy film on it. It covered the majority of the screen. I stopped and cleaned the screen but It did'n go completely away. By the time I got started again it had disappeared and all was fine for about 2 miles and it reappeared. It gives the appearance of an oily film on the screen that gives off a rainbow color as well. It is most noticeable with the morning sun at my back. I got to the dealer and they were stumped. When the engine cools down it goes away and it only appears when it is below 60 degrees and you are moving. They are of the opinion that it is a form of condensation....go figure....I also noticed that there is a protective screen on the the center. If you look real closely you will see that the glass screen is covered with a hard screen similar to what you might have on a smart phone. There is a very small diagonal cut at all four corners. Anyway, my dealer called their dealer rep. and he suggested removing the screen and cleaning behind it and then reinstalling. The dealer was unsure as to how to remove the screen as it appears it be affixed to the glass. They said they needed to do some research and call me back......Still love the bike.....just first year stuff.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Retired Guy
This morning I was headed to my local HD dealer to discuss the clutch recall on my 14 Limited. It was in the low 50's high 40's and after leaving my home I noticed the screen on the infotainment center appeared as if it had a greasy film on it. It covered the majority of the screen. I stopped and cleaned the screen but It did'n go completely away. By the time I got started again it had disappeared and all was fine for about 2 miles and it reappeared. It gives the appearance of an oily film on the screen that gives off a rainbow color as well. It is most noticeable with the morning sun at my back. I got to the dealer and they were stumped. When the engine cools down it goes away and it only appears when it is below 60 degrees and you are moving. They are of the opinion that it is a form of condensation....go figure....I also noticed that there is a protective screen on the the center. If you look real closely you will see that the glass screen is covered with a hard screen similar to what you might have on a smart phone. There is a very small diagonal cut at all four corners. Anyway, my dealer called their dealer rep. and he suggested removing the screen and cleaning behind it and then reinstalling. The dealer was unsure as to how to remove the screen as it appears it be affixed to the glass. They said they needed to do some research and call me back......Still love the bike.....just first year stuff.
Are there cleaning instructions in the owner's manual. I wouldn't want to mess it up.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Retired Guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use a damp microfiber cloth - no windex - no detailing spray or wax. Chemical Guys makes a interior cleaner that they say is 100% safe for Nav screens. I have used it on my car Nav screen and it works well.....I just haven't tried it yet on the Limited.