General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I saw Me the other day

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Tech Slap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I saw Me the other day

I was at a strip mall the other day, I had stopped to allow a woman and young boy cross. He had the biggest grin on his face and could not take his eyes off of me as his Mother dragged him across...Reminds me of when My Dad and I were on Chester Ave on our way to see an Indians game. I heard a sound like I had never heard before, I must have been 10 or 11 and rather short, I looked up over the sill of the passenger window, it was blue and on the front it said Duo Glide.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,249 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Yeah, I remember those days too, and pretty nearly the same scenario, LOL.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 AM
31choptop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only thing better... is when you acknowledge them and give them a thumbs up or wave!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 AM
UltraRider260
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was my first ride on my Uncle's Shovel when i was about 10. A retired Baltimore City Police Bike that i nearly burnt my foot on the exhaust. Didn't remove the grin from my face at all. When ever I can give one of my Grand kids a ride I hope to pass the bug down to them.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 31choptop
only thing better... is when you acknowledge them and give them a thumbs up or wave!!!
I was riding around my neighborhood and saw some kids riding chopper style bikes, they started waving and I pointed to the kids bikes and gave them a thumbs up. Big smiles!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 31choptop
We call my wife the ambassador. She is responsible for waving at all the kids when we go out riding.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I remember it too. I was around ten years old. It was a hot summer day and I was sitting in front of the grocery store drinking a Pepsi and eating a Payday candy bar when all of a sudden I heard this roar down by the gas station. One of the mechanics (they had mechanics in gas stations back then) just fired up his chopper. I took off running to see what was going on with my friends following. I got down there and got a good look at it. I though that was the coolest thing....

Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

We just finished eating lunch, were minding our own business and getting ready to ride out. A young japanese tourist family were watching. My riding partner seen the look in the kids eyes and invited them to sit on the bikes and take a picture. Those kids were the proudest little kids I ever seen.

Last edited by Mountain Cruiser; 02-23-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Truly a magical moment as a kid hearing your first Harley with a nice set of pipes. I grew up around them, so I don't have a specific "first time" memory, I just remember always thinking it was the coolest sound I'd ever heard.
I always get a grin when I get the slack-jawed, wide-eyed stare from the little boy at a red light or parking lot. I give them a wave or nod and get a big grin and wave in return. Also enjoy the "grumpy face" stare from the little girls, and the "wish I was on the back" stare from their soccer mom, lol!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember being about 10 when my uncle came over on his FL and I asked for a ride. My dad said, "yeah you can give him a ride, something's got to kill him." My mom freaked.

I was hooked for life. I was in the service when I got my first Harley and I didn't tell my mom for years. Why worry her about something she can't control. That is until one day I just showed up at her house on it. (She had the same look on her face that day.)

Quick Reply: I saw Me the other day