General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key, key fob, and remote lock woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Key, key fob, and remote lock woes

So here I am, motoring to Daytona from Pa and hit a bump and my keys come flying out of my windshield bag. Get the bike pulled over along 95and go back to find them, or should I say parts of them as they got run over.

So my bike has the locking tourpak and saddlebags. Its a 2010 Screamin Eagle Ultra. The ignition key is sort of molded into a plastic case that holds the transmitter and buttons to lock the tourpak. I was able to find all the pieces to that, put it together and it still works. But the metal key is boogered up and wont fit into the ignition. So can I get this short key make and placed back into the case?

And the security fob is toast. So when I buy another can I program it to the bike without messing up the match between my second fob and the bike?

Luckily I always travel with both sets of keys and fob. AND!!!!! I do have my turn signal over ride program done to start the bike without the fobs. Thanks

Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

As far as I know, both fobs have to be programed at the same time and the security system will only accept 2 fobs at a time. If you have the 4 digit key number, a dealer should be able to order you a new key. I happy to hear that you also travel with an extra key & fob, I'm not the only one LOL.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck

But the metal key is boogered up and wont fit into the ignition. So can I get this short key make and placed back into the case?...
Barrel key? If so I suggest you take what's left to a locksmith. I fouled up my barrel key, took what was left to a locksmith and they created a new one that worked perfectly. Ten bucks as opposed to about 3 times that amount at the dealership.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:39 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,544 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
As far as I know, both fobs have to be programed at the same time and the security system will only accept 2 fobs at a time. If you have the 4 digit key number, a dealer should be able to order you a new key. I happy to hear that you also travel with an extra key & fob, I'm not the only one LOL.
This is something I'll have to think about.

I keep extra batteries for the fob on my bike but I've never had a key problem before.