General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the bike a total loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM
ReefRaider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the bike a total loss

Well after about 30 some odd years of not going down yesterday changed all that. Thank's to a cage driver that had blacked out the tail lamps on her little range pick up. Not to get into a lot of details here I'll make this a short story.

After not seeing any stop or turn signal I realized this truck was stoping. Hard on the binders . I kind of think that at some point both the front and back tires are skidding. Then I got to the point were I knew I was not going to stop I layed the bike on its right side and did all I could to get as far from it as I could. Which ended up not being to far as I still came in behind it.
Banged up and a broken rib I faired it kind of good over all I think.

I have Allstate she has statefarm. She got the ticket for the black out lights.

But back to the bike a 2010 street glide. Called the HD dealer in that area and they sent out a guy with trailer to pick the bike up. I know the forks are bent, pretty much the whole front end and right side. My big ?? is how do they tell if the frame is bent. Will they try to put used parts on a bike to fix it like they will with a car ? I'll get more answers from them on Monday but its all reeling in my head now. Thanks for any and all help !!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Almost always a total when the forks or the crash bar frame tab is bent.
Glad to hear your ok!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM
MB-WideGlide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your OK

Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM
HooliganCycles
Advanced

It all depends on the value of your bike and the cost of the repairs, I have replaced countless front ends with out it being totalled, and most insurance companies won't total it simply because the engine guard tab is bent, most bikes that crash with an engine guard bend that tab anyways, I have even done many many frame replacements on bikes with out the insurance totalling the bike, you will most likely just have to wait till your insurance gets the estimate

Old 03-09-2014, 05:18 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

That sucks! Glad she got a ticket at least. Glad you made it through fairly well.

Had a similar accident 2 yeas ago. My insurance company (Progressive) inspected the bike first and thought it was repairable, but then they brought it to my dealer for their inspection. The dealer tested/measured the frame and found it was bent. Even though the bike didn't look bad, the bent frame totaled it. HD wont repair a bent frame, only option is replace. I'm sure it has to do with liability if it was repaired and then failed somehow.

I would make sure your dealer or indy checks the frame out also; they have no dog in the fight, but the insurance company does.

Good luck; heal quick!!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by HooliganCycles
It all depends on the value of your bike and the cost of the repairs, I have replaced countless front ends with out it being totalled, and most insurance companies won't total it simply because the engine guard tab is bent, most bikes that crash with an engine guard bend that tab anyways, I have even done many many frame replacements on bikes with out the insurance totalling the bike, you will most likely just have to wait till your insurance gets the estimate
That interesting? I've not witnessed one bike yet that wasn't totaled when the crash bar frame tab was bent? I have to admit that I've always wondered why that was the case. I have seen bent fork tubes and the bike wasn't totaled.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
ReefRaider
Advanced

So how do they measure the frame ?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 PM
ReefRaider
Advanced

Originally Posted by HooliganCycles
Have you seen them put used parts on bikes like they do with cars

Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Boltsm3
6th Gear

Glad you made it!!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you're OK there OP.

I agree that I also HATE dark-tinted brake lights. It defeats the whole ****in purpose of having lights on a vehicle to signal to others that one is change velocity suddenly and are no good if the lights are too ****ing dark to nice!!
The first time I do on all my vehicles, including my bike, is get bright LED tail lights, so people can SEE me with no excuses at all.

Quick Reply: Is the bike a total loss