General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arizona Riders - What is Highway 191 Like this time of year?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:48 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Arizona Riders - What is Highway 191 Like this time of year?

Headed over for Arizona Bike Week. Thought I might work Highway 191 (route 666) into my trip. What are road conditions most likely to be this time of year. Looks like weather will not be an issue. thanks!

Old 03-23-2014, 05:44 PM
DesertDweller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Tucson it's in the mid 80s, In alpine it's in the 60s
So it should not be a problem.

But: If you don't like the weather wait a minute and it will change.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

There will probably be some snow along side the road in areas that are in shadow most of the day, but the roads should be clear. That road reaches 9,000 feet elevation (Blue Point overlook) and the Phoenix area is about 1,200 feet, it will definitely be in the 50's to 60's in mid afternoon.

I've run it mid summer when Phoenix temps were forecast over 110 degrees and Hannagan Meadow was a comfortable 72 about 2:00 pm.

If you are planning to do it as a day ride from the Phoenix area, go out through Safford/Clifton in the morning, ride the trail, then Springerville / Show Low and the Salt River Canyon and Globe, then back to the valley.

It's about a 550 mile day ride and the best time I've made on this route is about 12 hours, but is is one of the best rides in the area.

If you are doing it on the way here or back, it will add a few very enjoyable hours to your trip.

Last edited by joe.1955; 03-23-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by joe.1955
There will probably be some snow along side the road in areas that are in shadow most of the day, but the roads should be clear. That road reaches 9,000 feet elevation (Blue Point overlook) and the Phoenix area is about 1,200 feet, it will definitely be in the 50's to 60's in mid afternoon.

I've run it mid summer when Phoenix temps were forecast over 110 degrees and Hannagan Meadow was a comfortable 72 about 2:00 pm.

If you are planning to do it as a day ride from the Phoenix area, go out through Safford/Clifton in the morning, ride the trail, then Springerville / Show Low and the Salt River Canyon and Globe, then back to the valley.

It's about a 550 mile day ride and the best time I've made on this route is about 12 hours, but is is one of the best rides in the area.

If you are doing it on the way here or back, it will add a few very enjoyable hours to your trip.
Thanks Joe, this is the info I need. Running it this Saturday south from Springerville to Benson. Should be a great spring ride!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I've got to get over to that rode and ride it before I get any older.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Iowa rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we like to stop and look and take pictures , and we are thinking about the best way to break this ride into two days, need some advice on a good place to stay around 1/2 way. any thoughts / suggestions ? by the way we are staying in Mesa till April 1

Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 PM
robw
Advanced

Originally Posted by hoethree
Thanks Joe, this is the info I need. Running it this Saturday south from Springerville to Benson. Should be a great spring ride!
I would rather ride it South to North. Uphill is a lot easier on you and the bike. You aren't on the brakes so much that way.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Iowa rider
we like to stop and look and take pictures , and we are thinking about the best way to break this ride into two days, need some advice on a good place to stay around 1/2 way. any thoughts / suggestions ? by the way we are staying in Mesa till April 1
We usually ride from the Phoenix area through Safford and ride north on 191 to Alpine. We usually stay at the Tal Wi Wi Lodge a mile or so past Alpine, then ride back to the valley the next day. BTW, PJ's Cafe in Clifton is a great lunch stop.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Iowa rider
Cruiser

Just called and Tal Wi Wi lodge is closed for remodeling until april , we are looking at making this ride Thurs/ Fri this week any other suggestions for lodging ?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iowa rider
Just called and Tal Wi Wi lodge is closed for remodeling until april , we are looking at making this ride Thurs/ Fri this week any other suggestions for lodging ?

Dont know how far north you are coming, but we are staying in Showlow at the Hampton Inn this Friday nite and riding south on 191 Saturday.

Quick Reply: Arizona Riders - What is Highway 191 Like this time of year?