General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Emax
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fat Bob or Road King

Hey guys I need some help here I have a 2012 fat Bob big blue pearl that I bought brand new two years ago. Well I am now looking at a 2014 Road King in sand pearl/canyon brown and I really love the color but I am not sure if I Should trade in the Fat Bob for the RK. I have add a lot of stuff to the fat bob and got it just the way I want it. I would how ever be starting all over with the RK not sure what to do I love the FB but I really like the RK any help in making up my mind would be great thanks.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:11 AM
roadkingdean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road king

If you are gonna travel the RK hands down the winner!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:12 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd suggest renting a road king and putting some serious miles on it before deciding.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

It would be financially irresponsible to take a bath on your FB upgrades. Keep it and buy the RK. You'll just have to bite the bullet and ride more to justify em both.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:29 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I really love the fat bob. That said, I'm a bit partially to the RK.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Biggest question is what kind riding do you or are you planning to do? I basically bar hop or take short (50 mile one way) day trips around Long Island with some friends. When I retire in a few years I plan on adding a touring bike. Also if you just want change, screw it, you don't need our opinion. I would sell it privately before trading it in, unless you get a killer deal. Good luck on your choice.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Cholo
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep the Fat Bob. Nothing says you can't take long trips on it and it's a lot funner bike for day to day riding.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM
IMKMA
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2011 FXDC,put tons of money into it putting on boards,shocks ,seat windshield and much much more, traded it in on a 2014 Road King, I couldn't be happier and I was surprised to find that although it's bigger and heavier it doesn't feel like it at all. I think it handles much better at low speed and on the highway there is no comparison. I don't think I ever really pushed the FXDC to the limit in the curves so I can't say for sure that the king is as good at that type of riding but I don't notice it the way I ride.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

No matter what you do to your bob it isn't going to be as comfortable for long distance as a tourer. The thing about tourers is they already come with most of what you need for long distance riding and the road king is no different. You get cruise control, dual disc Brembo ABS brakes, adjustable suspension, wider rider and passenger seats, better frame, more powerful engine (high out put 103), and better storage and storage capability. I went from a dyna low rider to a King and wow dude what a huge difference when it came to touring. The Dyna was the better city, spirited riding motorcycle but for going long distance there's isn't much more comfortable and fun than a road king.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

IMO, it depends on what kind of riding you're going to do. If you're going on two-up, long distance rides, you might be better off with the RK. If most of your rides are of the cruising type, I'd stay with the Dyna, cuz its already set up the way you want it. Like what's been said before, you should put a few miles on the RK before making a decision. Some people like the smooth ride, and others miss the "soul" that the touring bikes don't have. Of course that "soul" gets tiresome after 300-400 miles! Both nice rides, so you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob or Road King