General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing inspection at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing inspection at dealership

Now I know there are a thousand variables to my question but in general what have your experiences been.

I have to get my '13 Deluxe inspected and since this if the first Harley I've purchased at a dealership I'm inclined to take them up on their free state inspections.

The question, I am running V&H short shots with no baffles. I know technically, this won't pass inspection but will a Harley dealership likely fail me? I ask because I can take the bike to the guy who inspected by other bikes and he'd pass it with no issues.

So, anyone who has straight pipes and has passed/failed at a dealership chime in please.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by zyonsdream
Now I know there are a thousand variables to my question but in general what have your experiences been.

I have to get my '13 Deluxe inspected and since this if the first Harley I've purchased at a dealership I'm inclined to take them up on their free state inspections.

The question, I am running V&H short shots with no baffles. I know technically, this won't pass inspection but will a Harley dealership likely fail me? I ask because I can take the bike to the guy who inspected by other bikes and he'd pass it with no issues.

So, anyone who has straight pipes and has passed/failed at a dealership chime in please.
Can't directly answer your question but if it's a free inspection and they fail it...can't you then take it to the guy who will pass it?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,788 Likes on 6,213 Posts

You didn't mention if there is a decibel restriction, local ordinance or state law specific to it. If there is, that's where the stock pipes come in handy. Not a big deal to temporarily change them.

I had a pickup that was regularly inspected for emissions. From the cat back, it was straight pipes all the way to the back. It wasn't particularly loud, but decibels weren't a factor. The emissions were not affected, so they had no issue.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The closest dealerships to me are an hour away, so I take mine to a local inspection place in town. It was $14 when I did mine last year. Lights, horn, turn signals, brake lights.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM
WvDragon
Cruiser

If you are worried about the dealership then just pay the 12-15 bucks to your buddy and get it with out worry.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer

There is no "emissions" inspection such as we have for cages but in the event that an inspector sees a change to the stock emissions controls, they can fail it. From what I understand, if for some reason they pulled the seat and saw the fuelpak, that would be enough. Since there is no reason to pull the seat for an inspection, the only real issue would be a visual inspection of the tailpipes.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and just ask. The dealership I go to is pretty cool and I'm sure they don't want to waste their own time. The guy that I know will pass it is just a block from my house. The dealership is about 25 miles. However, it's a nice ride so I never mind going there.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Just go to the guy down the street, jeez. Why are you trying to make this hard?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Like you said, you have to ask them, not us. I find it hard to believe a dealer is going to fail every bike that comes in with aftermarket pipes. They would be wasting a lot of time, seeing how they aren't charging for the inspection.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

STUPID THREAD!

Go to an indy and pay the $25. Jesus Christ man.

Exhaust with no baffles, why would you even think that HD would pass that?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Just go to the guy down the street, jeez. Why are you trying to make this hard?
Sometimes free cost to much ?

Quick Reply: Passing inspection at dealership