General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing your Motorcycle: DIY or Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:26 AM
ijustwant2ride
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servicing your Motorcycle: DIY or Dealership?

I see a lot of this type of question on many of the other blogs, websites and forms.* Most typically they start off congenial but spin down to the “the dealership sucks and charges too much” and “if you don’t do it yourself you are a wimp”.

My POV on this subject originates in 2000 at a Ford dealership in Fayetteville, NC.* I was there buying a new vehicle, the first Ford Sport Trac sold in Fayetteville, when I overheard a heated and loud argument at the service desk.

Ostensibly a man had, what he considered, warranty work performed on his transmission (it was older F250 with a couple 100K of what looked like hard miles).* As I was waiting for my vehicle to be taken off the truck (I said it was the first) I listened to the conversion between the service representative and the owner of the truck.* Just like all these type of conversations it started politely but got heated in a hurry.

The dealership wanted to charge him over $1500 dollars for the work while he insisted it should be covered by warranty.* What it boiled down to was that the dealership stated with that many miles the transmission should have been serviced, if I remember correctly, five times.* The owner was stating that it had been serviced, he did it himself.* She responded that for the warranty to be honored the service had to be performed by a “certified” mechanic, that they would not honor the warranty.*BUT, I am sure a HD dealership would NEVER do this, right?

Now I do not know how the situation was resolved, my brand new Sport Trac came off the truck and I was checking it out. But that argument left an imprint on me that have lasted to this day.* If my vehicles are under warranty the dealership gets all service work, with the occasional exception for the standard oil change (and I keep records of that).* I also attempt to be very prompt in getting the services performed at the appropriate mileage points, give or take a few thousand miles.

I do know how to do a lot of the work myself.* I can do a lot of the basic things (that do not require a computer and there is less and less of that every year) like all the fluid changes, spark plugs and wires, batteries, lights, etc.. I have worked with friends to change transmissions and I have helped work on the pumpkins of four wheel drives.* I even use to know how to use the tire changing machines and wheel balancers and I think I could figure out how to use the modern equipment to do that job too.

So where does that leave me?* I have the knowledge to do some of my own work, but I do not want to jeopardize my warranty just in case I have a major problem down the road.* All my vehicles get their service at the dealership at least through the end of the warranty, and I do typically get the extended warranty.* To some folks I will be a stupid wimp but I think I fit in there with the majority of the population.*

So what do you guys think?

If you have time stop by my blog. Ijustwant2ride.wordpess.com

Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,611 Posts

I used the Dealership til the Warranty was gone to keep up the pedegree after that I wrench or have my Brothers wrench when its beyond my skills or tool collection.

Haole

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

In the 70s when bike were simple, I did it all myself. Now, they're just like cars...computerized and complicated. There's no way I'd even try to work on it.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

The law allows anyone to perform the work called for in the maintenance schedule. That includes an authorized warranty service center (dealer), and independent mechanic, or the owner of the vehicle. Having the dealer do this service is probably the most expensive route in most cases, but you have documented evidence of performing the maintenance. Same with an independent with a good computer system that documents customer services. As an owner, just keep good records and save the receipts. Hard to say for sure what the incidence was that you saw at the Ford Dealer. Maybe the transmission failed because it was neglected and the mechanics and people who authorize warranty work knew that. The owner could simply say he did the maintenance but maybe the transmission itself was enough evidence that he didn't. Maybe the guy did do the maintenance but messed it up due to incompetence. Or maybe he did all the required maintanance and the dealership was being stubborn. One thing the dealership maybe could have done was to tell the customer that the warranty claim was denied, and that he'd be on the hook for the cost of repairs before they did the repairs. I'd would expect that, and possibly taken the vehicle around for estimates at other shops, as well as explored appealing the warranty denial. Not sure how common stuff like that is, it's never happened to me and I do all my own work or have independent shops do it. Seldom do I use the dealer for routine maintanance.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being just over an hour ride, dealer is too far away. Doing so would tie up 4 hrs traveling, or a long day sitting. Armed with a manual and full assortment of tools there is not much maintenance-wise, accessory-wise, or repair I'm not able to achieve.
I've been wrenching for myself since the early 70's when I rebuilt the engine and repaired suspension of a car I bought at auction. The only two things I have not taken on is an auto trans rebuild and complete differential rebuild. I also cannot do smog certs. Every vehicle since my first, I've bought a manual and any specialized tools needed. I keep our vehicles for many years (currently have 2 for 27 yrs, others 15, 8, 4 and 3).
I enjoy wrenching as a hobby and as an engineer do it right. This includes regular maintenance, repairs and upgrades. I have no reason to go to dealer, yet.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Some good points! I have several dealers close by so I let them do the work at this time on my MC. I have had bad and good experiences but overall I will continue letting them do the work until warranty is expired and then reconsider. We have lots of indy shops around also so I will probably try them out.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do the work yourself and keep good records.
Just wondering, your bike is an '08 and you're just now asking this question?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 AM
RGBobD
Intermediate
Default What the hd warranty paperwork says

Looking at my warranty paperwork, it says that the receipt, date, time, MILEAGE, and type of work, must be documented and kept in the owners records for all maintenance and service work done.

I don't see words "certified mechanic" anywhere.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer

Due to lack of time, I took my car to a lube place for an oil change the day before I drove it 400 miles to see my mother in Ohio. Upon my return home, my grandfather called me and said there was a large oil spot on the ground where my car was parked. I went outside, grabbed the drain plug and twisted it loose with my fingers. The dipchit at the lube center forgot to tighten the plug and I did an 800 mile round trip like that. I was very fortunate that the plug did not work its way loose on the highway.

I'll NEVER take any vehicle or motorcycle to another person for maintenance or repair if I can help it. This is especially true for motorcycles. I'm not a particularly trusting person anyway and if my bike fails due to poor mechanical work, it will be my own fault.

There are laws in every state that protect consumers from this issue. In all honesty, if you HAD to take your bike to Harley for every maintenance issue they would charge even more than they do now because you're forced to go there.

The HD warranty sucks and most of us void it as soon as we start customizing them. A car is slightly different because they cover you for much longer than HD's 1minute or 1 mile warranty.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

Before I became an office jockey my work was seasonal due to weather only, Masonry work. I would get laid off in the winter and worked as a car mechanic so have plenty of back ground there. I do what I can on maintenance but do not have many specialty tools yet so if I cannot do it i take to a local Indy that is 20 miles away. It does get harder to work on anything these days just due to the fact you need a computer to figure them out if is not simple maintenance.

Quick Reply: Servicing your Motorcycle: DIY or Dealership?