General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to change my sig pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had to change my sig pic

As I am inclined to do, I was browsing the local dealer websites the other day and came across a special edition Road King that peaked my interest. Just for fun I filed an inquiry to see what they had to say. Told the wife what I’d done, and she kind of lost her mind…something about spending money like it was water or something. A day later after she cooled down a bit she said to me: “look, if you’re gonna do this just get the big one so I’m comfortable.”

Okey Dokey I says and to that end the Heritage is no more and the Limited is in the garage. I loved that Heritage and still do but it just wasn’t cut out for all day, two up riding…at least not for these two souls. Wife was miserable on the back of it after a couple hours, and if I'm honest I didn't feel the greatest either. If anyone cares keep reading for my initial impressions after 150 miles.

I won’t go into the fit and finish too much; that info is everywhere. Suffice to say it’s got all the do-dads and gadgets one could ever want. Takes awhile to get used to them but once you do it’s fairly intuitive. Luggage space is nice and handy. Heated grips, cruise, music, full fairing, gauges all upgrades. Obviously the rear seat is very passenger friendly and the reason wifey signed off on the deal. Power plant is smooth and robust even in stock form. Not all 103’s are created equal; this high output 103 accelerates quickly and moves out even at highway speeds. Shifting is smooth with very little clunking. I noticed faster speeds in lower gears all through the range. 6th isn’t even needed until you hit 85 or 90 unless you want to just because. It’s going to take me a bit to get used to the higher center of gravity but it turns and swerves on a dime so should be great up in the twisties. A little unsteady slowing to a stop but I’ll adjust. After about 2 hours in the saddle yesterday both of us felt comfortable with no leg cramping or butt burn although I need my backrest. They don't call it a touring frame for nothing I guess. All in all I feel like it’s going to accomplish what we wanted which is a comfortable, all day touring bike so I’m happy with the switch. It’s a beautiful machine but at the end of the day I really like the look and style of the Heritage or Road King. I’m into that classic 40’s look and will miss it. The Limited definitely handles and performs better for what I want out of a bike though, and I’m looking forward to clocking many miles this season. Next week I upgrade to S/E Street Cannon slip-on’s and big air kit, a rider backrest and a windshield bag. Not much else to do really. Pic in Sig.

Last edited by Shep68; 04-10-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Tinmanpope
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride and choice you made, nice color combo. Yea it takes a while to get use to the bells and whistles. Get a gremlin bell on that thing soon. Ride safely!!!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Koafarms
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left the Soft Tail family myself about 3 weeks ago and while I dont have all the bells and whistles your limited has, I am in complete agreement with the rest of your post and couldnt have said it better!

Ride Safe

Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Shep68
Road Master

Originally Posted by Koafarms
I left the Soft Tail family myself about 3 weeks ago and while I dont have all the bells and whistles your limited has, I am in complete agreement with the rest of your post and couldnt have said it better!

Ride Safe
Nice bike. I'm kind of jealous actually. I really wanted to do a deal for that Road King but mama trumped my wishes.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:36 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
Told the wife what I’d done, and she kind of lost her mind…something about spending money like it was water or something.

Haha, none of my women have ever been in a position to say such a thing, but if they did, I'm pretty sure my response would be: What? Huh? Can you speak up, because all I hear is clicking noises.

A day later after she cooled down a bit she said to me: “look, if you’re gonna do this just get the big one so I’m comfortable.”
There ya' go - sounds like a keeper. Congrats! That's a good looking bike.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,661 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Congrats on the new sled! You know what they say, "happy wife, happy life".

I went for the first ride on my new RKC today and loved it! A very solid-feeling ride and much easier handling than I thought it would be. Didn't really feel any heavier than my Fat Bob.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy. Very similar story for me. Wife didn't have a melt down when I brought up gettting a new bike, but she wanted comfort, it was the passenger seat that swayed her.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Sweet bro! There's no stock Harley better for touring than a Harley tourer. When I had an ultra limited I never felt any kind of fatigue on long rides and neither did my wife. We no longer do long trips together so we love the softails. I haven't been to a Harley dealership in nearly a year to look at bikes because there's no other Harley I want and after all the different motorcycles I've owned it feels really good to say that.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Shep68
Road Master

Thanks guys! Still in that new, break in and get used to it phase but it's coming along and the rides are definitely pleasurable. As for the wife...well she's a hot blooded latina so her first reaction to everything I do is pretty much always an octave or two higher!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! I just bought a very lightly used 2013 Electra Glide Classic. I understand exactly what you mean regarding coming to a stop (or leaving from one) while riding two-up. After not being on a bike for nearly twenty years, that is the only scenario that hasn't instantly come back to me. With my wife and I on the bike there is a significant amount of weight up high, which is only a problem when we are moving dead slow...otherwise it is the ultimate in comfort for two people.

I love mine, and as you say, we will get used to that eventually.

Be safe out there.

John