General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley for first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 PM
guitarashes
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley for first bike?

Hello everyone, just wondering if a Harley would be a good bike to start out on. Specifically the softail breakout. I know the hype of starting out on a small bike and all that. But what do you experienced riders really feel and think. I would like a smaller bike to hone my skills but I don't like spending money twice. So what do you think?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Bruces06
Advanced

I know a few guys who bought Harleys as there first bike. Like you they didnt want to spend $ twice. I think as long as you take some sort of rider safety course and bring your bike to a big parking lot and practice a bit to get usto it before hitting the road youll be fine.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 PM
guitarashes
Intermediate

Right I just took the MSF course last week only got deducted 5 points for anticipating the power stop.. Who wouldn't.. Anyways just went to Harley shop today sat on a breakout, i was comfortable but my toes barely reached the ground in 5'6" 160lbs. My second choice is the fat boy sat on that, seat was more comfortable and I actually could reach a little better. I'm a safe car driver, I practiced a lot in parking lots and country roads. I'm going to do the same with this bike. But sitting on that bike today was quite intimidating. Lol I left as soon as I dismounted. Any other input?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,689 Likes on 2,259 Posts

Buy a smaller, used Yamaha or Honda. I started out that way and sold the bike a while after I got the Super Glide, exactly a week after I put out the ad. I got a lot of people wanting to buy it and they were all new riders, like I was. You likely can sell it pretty fast.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

It isn't hype. It is fact back by statistic and data that newer riders are at a higher risk of getting into an accident. I don't know anyone that has never dropped a motorcycle before. Dude it is your money and your life. No one here stands to gain anything by telling new riders to take the cautious route and get something small, cheap, and light. You might want to check out the thread below.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...re-lately.html

Old 05-03-2014, 06:59 PM
guitarashes
Intermediate

I have an odd attachment to things I buy, call it hoarding if you will. If I love it I won't sell it. Happens with my cars. I drive them till they blow up and then fix them instead of buying another car.. Oh never dumped the bike in MSF course either like some people, don't know how they did it either.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM
guitarashes
Intermediate

Alright I didn't want to add this before but I'm going to. I am a cocky person when it comes to my driving and skills. And know my capabilities. For one I have never, ever been in a car accident. I know bikes are a lot different and I can feel that. But the inevitable will happen if it's destined. There are a lot of SLOW people in this world that should start on a 50cc bike and then move up. I'm not saying I shouldn't start small. That's how I feel, to learn the dynamics of a motorcycle, but to try and show me pictures of accidents doesn't help the situation. Is kind of insulting to be honest. Especially when someone is trying to gather information and you show them destroyed bikes, definitely boots their confidence.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

I learned to ride, on a friends KZ1000, back in the late 70's. At the time, that bike was considered a beast, a Hyabusa by today's standards. I was a skinny kid and weighed about 150 pounds.

I don't think a bikes weight has anything to do with learning how to ride, it's not like you have to pick it up over your head to ride it.

Buy the bike you want, you'll do just fine.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

Go for the Harley and don't drop it.........there are risks with almost everything. If you want this you will master it....be careful..... you can do it....you have had training....trust your instincts ......believe in your abilities and skills

Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 PM
SCJoe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't even sat on a motorcycle since my dirtbike days back in the late 70's before I bought my Dyna almost 2 years ago. I had it delivered, and rode on side streets and school parking lots to build up my confidence and skills before heading out into traffic. I also read bunch of safety tips and articles, and drilled that stuff into my brain every day. I really expected to have more issues since the biggest bike I had ridden previously was my Honda XL125, but the Dyna was a piece of cake to handle despite the weight. It has a low center of gravity, and lots of torque, so it didn't take me long to get really comfortable.

Don't waste your money on a starter bike if you don't think you need one...

Quick Reply: Harley for first bike?