General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:30 AM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ear plugs

Just curious, how many of you ride with ear plugs, or some form of hearing protection? I'm gonna have to do something. I usually ride with a doo rag under my half helmet that I pull down over my ears. Very minimal protection but it seems to have worked. Well the other day I forgot to pull down the doo rag before I took off, and rode out in some pretty windy conditions. After the ride my left ear was f'ed up and it lasted for over a day. Sorta like my ear needed to pop but not quite like that. Suddenly corrected itself almost instantly yesterday and now seems back to normal. Got me thinking I should be doing something better, but I've tried those foam plugs in the past, didn't like that I couldn't hear ANYTHING. Like to hear how the bike is running.

Options?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:37 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already lost 40% of my hearing so I am concerned about noise. The foam ear plugs work OK, I can still hear a lot of ambient noise though. I have used ear bud headphones, hoping to control the volume of the noise but wind noise is brutal. I recently picked up a pair of noise cancelling ear buds and I'm happy with them. They cut out a lot of ambient noise and I can keep the volume down on my tunes.

Glad your ear cleared itself up.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 AM
dwshort
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always use earplugs when riding for any distance. I use foam earplugs with the highest noise reduction rating I can find. Buying them in bulk makes them very cheap and you can carry extra to change out when they get too dirty. They also allow me to reduce the volume on the tunes when riding.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:48 AM
BigIck
Cruiser

More than a few blocks ... earplugs are in.

I use these.

Last edited by BigIck; 05-09-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:48 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I use these... http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/accessori...s-2-pairs.html

I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield but the wind still drives me nuts. These block out the majority of it. You can get them at Wally Mart.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-09-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 AM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick reply's. Going to see what the ear Doc says Tuesday. But looks like I'll have to get used to the foam plugs.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield but the wind still drives me nuts. .
Me too with a 3/4. I've got SE pipes so you know they aren;t loud, but yeah it is the air coming into the helmet and maybe putting pressure on your ear drums. That's my guess but I feel it too. I was going to try closing the vents on my helmet.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM
BigIck
Cruiser

I use a Bell RS-1 Full face helmet. It is really quiet until you open the vents, then it sounds like my 1/2 helmet. But I've got enough hearing loss for being around jet engines for most of my adult life, so earplugs are in.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:04 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
Just curious, how many of you ride with ear plugs, or some form of hearing protection? I'm gonna have to do something. I usually ride with a doo rag under my half helmet that I pull down over my ears. Very minimal protection but it seems to have worked. Well the other day I forgot to pull down the doo rag before I took off, and rode out in some pretty windy conditions. After the ride my left ear was f'ed up and it lasted for over a day. Sorta like my ear needed to pop but not quite like that. Suddenly corrected itself almost instantly yesterday and now seems back to normal. Got me thinking I should be doing something better, but I've tried those foam plugs in the past, didn't like that I couldn't hear ANYTHING. Like to hear how the bike is running.

Options?
foam ones...cut one in half..and use half for each ear.....you hear the bike ect..just cuts down the wind noise and the sound from your buddy with no freaking baffles riding ahead of you..

Last edited by sonoffatboy; 05-09-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
Thanks for the quick reply's. Going to see what the ear Doc says Tuesday. But looks like I'll have to get used to the foam plugs.
I tried foam ones and they seemed to work their way out of my ears enough to left too much sound in.
Originally Posted by Markymannn
Me too with a 3/4. I've got SE pipes so you know they aren;t loud, but yeah it is the air coming into the helmet and maybe putting pressure on your ear drums. That's my guess but I feel it too. I was going to try closing the vents on my helmet.
I thought a face shield and the padding would stop the wind but it doesn't. But my ear plugs kill so much noise, if someone is talking to me when we stop, I can't hear them.

Quick Reply: Ear plugs