General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about engine guards

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Tell me about engine guards

I've been thinking about an engine guard for my Slim. The black HD mustache engine guard looks pretty good when I see it on other Slims here on the site.

However, I have to admit, I've always perceived an engine guard as an old guy's thing. Or something on a tourer, not a fairly stripped down bike.

No offense intended. Let's face it, I'm old at 45.

My main questions are: Is there any benefit to an engine guard beyond the possibility that it could keep your tank from getting dented in a fall?

Will it really protect your legs and feet in a low side? Would it offer any impact deflection if a cage hits you broadside?

Anybody ever have their bacon saved by an engine guard? Or just have your bike saved from a few dents?

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 05-12-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:22 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Obviously our bikes are quite different, but I don't think I could pick my RK up if it didn't have engine guards. And where would I put my highway pegs?

Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine's a tourer, so I can't say for certain, but saves my tank from dents.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I have a mustache bar on my Heritage, I like that I can put my feet on the black pads but I also have highway pegs lower down, which gives me another option to rest my feet.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
My main questions are: Is there any benefit to an engine guard beyond the possibility that it could keep your tank from getting dented in fall?Mostly for saving your bike from more damage in most situations.

Will it really protect your legs and feet in a low side? It will keep the bike off your legs and feet long enough for you to possibly get them clear of the motorcycle.

Would it offer any impact deflection if a cage hits you broadside?Very little in a normal driving environment(cars going faster). MAYBE in a low speed crash where they hit you, it might or it could get bent back toward your leg.

Or just have your bike saved from a few dents?That. In 1 accident and 2 drops I did have, the engine guard saved the tank from touching the ground. And as mentioned before with the engine guard, it's a little easier to pick the bike up because it higher off the ground
See above. Other will have more input maybe.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most bars are too thin for any sort of major impact. if you don't get your leg out of there, that thing will crumple and take the lower half of your leg with it, pinching it between it, and the bike. i've also heard in minor accidents (if there is such thing on a bike) that it tends to break the tab on the frame the bar mounts to, which totals your bike (according to insurance a-holes)

all that crap aside, even on a stripped down bike i still think they look cool, and it's nice to kick back on those long rides.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Best investment that you can make for yourself and your bike.

We have four bikes and all of them have engine guards and they've come in very handy a few times.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:44 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I low sided a Kawasaki in 1975 at about 60mph, the crash bars, as we called them at the time, saved my leg and protected the paint.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:45 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

If for some reason, you drop your bike, it might save you some money. I'm not talking a wreck. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well let me say I can't remember as far back as being 45 so take whatever I say as an old geezer rambling.

I would bet that most times bikes are dropped, damaged, crashed or whatever words you want to use are at very slow speed or stopped. Think parking lot type stunts. Somewhere in the 90% bracket.

If you could prevent damage to your scoot 90% of the time, it seems like a good idea.

My percentage figure is not based on any scientific data. It is based on 29 years of police observation. Hey, just sayin'.

Quick Reply: Tell me about engine guards