General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratch control and paint maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:20 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Scratch control and paint maintenance

I have a 3 yr old Vivid Black Heritage. Even with proper washing and waxing the paint develops light scratches which show on the tank and fenders. I have tried the black colored wax and detailers with temporary success. I purchased a product called Nu Finish Scratch Doctor. I had a chance this morning to use it and this product is outstanding. It goes on easy and removes 90% of light scratches with little effort and it removes easy. I finished it up with the Lucas Spraymist quick detailer and the bike "sparkles" I am very impressed with both these products. The Heritage looks better today then when it came off the showroom floor. Rides better now also.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:38 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Cool. Make a post in the detailing section. They might like to find a good tip there.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 PM
redstreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy these products at?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 AM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

I have one tip to help maintain the luster on your vivid black paint....do not forget to tighten the bolts to your saddlebag after removing it or you will watch it slide down the road at some point. Ask me how i know.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DresserDude
Cool. Make a post in the detailing section. They might like to find a good tip there.
I tried several pulldowns for the detailing section, didn't find it. Gave up. At my age time is at a premium.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by redstreetglide
Where did you buy these products at?
The NuFinish Scratch Doctor is new on the market, the Lucas Spraymist detailer has been around awhile. I bought mine at "Wally", but also avail at parts stores like O'Reileys, AutoZone, Advanced Auto etc. I dont praise products often, but this stuff was worth a mention.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatTony
I have one tip to help maintain the luster on your vivid black paint....do not forget to tighten the bolts to your saddlebag after removing it or you will watch it slide down the road at some point. Ask me how i know.
I won't ask. I have done a few things over the years that I was grateful no one was watching at the time.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 AM
fullswedge
Cruiser

Originally Posted by checkers
I won't ask. I have done a few things over the years that I was grateful no one was watching at the time.
LOL...

Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I was just watching that show on TV where the father and son restore things people bring in like old gas pumps and stuff. They had a "tech tip" on the show about getting swirl and scratch marks out of gloss black paint. He uses talcum powder. Sprinkle it on the paint and use a buffing wheel (I would guess with very light pressure). I would try it on something other than my bikes paint first just to see how it worked though.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,818 Likes on 18,573 Posts

Yes ... you need to find a practice piece first. Paint, especially Black, can be hurt quickly by a novice. A buffing wheel is the quickest way to disaster by someone who is not familiar with one. If you're real serious about rejuvenating a Vivid Black finish and have a few dollars to spend, check out the Autogeek Site and a Porter Cable 7424xp. It is the closest thing to "idiot proof" on the market in regards to "polishing" ... Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Scratch control and paint maintenance