General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somebody dropped my bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Somebody dropped my bike!

This past Saturday, my wife and I went to her cousin's house for a housewarming party. It was a crazy time with a lot of guests and we had a great time. So great that we called a cab for the ride home and the host of the party allowed me to park the bike in his driveway. I gave him the fob just in case he had to move the bike out of the way thinking no big deal since he rides and should know how to move the bike if need be.

Sunday afternoon I go to pick up the bike and it's re positioned in the drive way perpendicular to where it was originally and I notice that the handlebars are pushed down a bit...(indication of bike dropped as I've done it myself), so I right the bars and I'm on my way as I didn't see any obvious damage then.

Well, today I rode the bike to work and after parking it I notice a couple of gashes in the bat wing! I was furious! Not so much for the damage... ok, I was angry about that but you couldn't tell me about dropping the bike?

This morning I texted my wife's cousin only because I didn't have her husband's number and told her about the bike being dropped and she was insulted that I would accuse her or her husband of dropping the bike. Yes it could have been someone else, so I calmed down and ironed things out, but I would at least like to talk to her husband.

I guess I'll try to find some touch-up paint and cover up this damage as best as I can. Not a major deal, but this bike is my baby! I'm sure you all understand.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,815 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Rookie move, you left it unattended. At least it was still there.
Should have made better arrangements for it, or slept next to it, with your toes in the spokes.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Why on earth would you go to a party on a bike and get drunk? Take the dang cage... at least you called a cab. Lesson learned I guess.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 AM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

As a guy with 22 years sober . . . if I go somewhere where people are getting fkked up I have to consider the options of anything happening. I can't expect people who are high to concern themselves with my bike. That said . . he should have told you IF he knew.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

OP's bike has suffered alcohol (or substance) related damage, and it's his own fault.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,877 Likes on 8,237 Posts

Are you sure you didn't drop it and forgot you did so?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Rookie move, you left it unattended. At least it was still there.
Should have made better arrangements for it, or slept next to it, with your toes in the spokes.
I'm not going to call it a 'rookie move' because I'm still a rookie. That said, I never would have left my bike behind. I would have nursed two beers the entire night and stayed sober.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:25 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That would suck. You left your bike at a party, took a cab home, and gave someone your keys? I would say you're lucky it turned out as well as it did. I know hindsight is 20/20 but at the very least you probably should have moved it somewhere safe & secure out of the way before you got too buzzed and locked it up and kept the keys. JMO I'm not self-righteous, I have been in that situation a couple times but I made arrangements for my bike before getting too trashed.

Again that sucks and sorry to hear.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah... lesson learned. I just needed to vent a bit. This won't happen again.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 PM
rpking
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to a dyno shootout/burnout pit/party thing this past Saturday and let me tell you the beer was flowing like a river
I drank Mountain Dew and water
I took quite a ribbing for it too, do I care, nope, my bike and I made it home nice and safe. Then I had a few cold ones!!

Quick Reply: Somebody dropped my bike!