General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time rider. Lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Mcfire12
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time rider. Lots of questions!

Hi guys, i'm new into the whole 2 wheels thing here so please take it easy! I've been thinking about getting a bike for a few years now and i'm finally doing my homework and getting things around for my first one.

I should note that I live in Ohio. From what I understand to obtain my permit I just need to pass a written test and then I can legally ride with some restrictions like helmet, no passenger, only during the day, ect.

It looks like a good deal of you have taken some kind of a basic riders course or safety course. There is a school about an hour from me that does offer a course that's 16 hours. http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

A few of my buddies that I snowmobile with have bikes and they have never taken the course. I have very restricted time due to work, but If it's really a good idea, I can make it work.

It looks like I would need to buy a few things to even go to the class. Over the ankle sturdy footwear, full finger gloves, and a helmet. Is it worth spending some decent cash on these things? Obviously the helmet would be a good investment. But is it worth running out and buying nice gloves and harley riding boots? I'm assuming this is going to work out just like my snowmobile get up where after the pants, jacket or vest? helmet, gloves, ect all add up to quite a bit.

I'm a smaller guy 5' 10" and 155. I was just looking to get a sportster 883 and ride that for awhile until I figure out what I really want.

Any input on anything would be great. I'm sorry if all of this has been asked before, but the search function really didn't turn up a ton for me.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 PM
BCass53
Novice

Rider safety course is a must Been riding since 80s you have so much more now to be aware of, good luck keep the metal up and the rubber down

Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

I got my MC endorsement thru the Minnesota branch of the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation. If you show up to the first class with your MC learner's permit, and if you complete the course, they test you out right there for your driving test. You don't have to get in line with your own bike at a state testing station. You use the MSF bikes, and leave with a license, once you go to the place that issues licenses, and pay the fee. To me that alone made the cost worth it. Plus you got some good basic skills. Maybe Ohio has something like that?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm surprised they require you to buy a helmet - the course I took, they supplied the helmet if we didn't have our own.
With respect to sturdy shoes, any boots over the ankle was all I was required to have - do you have a pair of hiking or maybe cowboy boots - and for gloves, I used a pair of cycling gloves that were just fine.
You're not going to do any serious riding, lots of short starts & stops learning different basic skills..
If you have the bug and are pretty sure you will end up buying a scoot - then yes a nice pair of boots, a nice pair of gloves and check on the helmet needs..

Enjoy and welcome to the forum

Old 06-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Mcfire12
6th Gear

Brewmany, yes, that's pretty much what I understand Ohio is like. I believe you still may have to pass a written portion, but I know you do not need to take the driving part after completion of the course.
JMC22, It looks like the number of helmets they provide is limited. * DOT-approved helmet if you have one -- limited number of helmets available to borrow. I have work boots that go over my ankle.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:21 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Good luck with riding!

As for gear? Figure out what you want and then buy the best you can afford. You'll cry once but it'll last longer.

After the course, practice-practice-practice.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcfire12
... It looks like the number of helmets they provide is limited. * DOT-approved helmet if you have one -- limited number of helmets available to borrow...
What kind of BS is that? Either everyone brings their own helmet or they provide one for EVERY enrollee of the course. I have not known or heard of any reputable MSF course that didn't provide helmets and gloves for that matter.

There are some people that take the course BEFORE having any motorcycle or gear. This is to see if riding is for them. They provide the equipment. Who determines who gets a helmet and who doesn't ?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Take the course first and then go get your M endorsement. If you go pay for the permit you'll probably pay again when you go in to get your permanent endorsement. Definitely take the course before you start riding. Don't lock yourself in to a sporty either. Some of the other "bigger" bikes have a lower center of gravity and are more comfortable to ride. Your size is not that small where it would be a factor. Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're never too old to learn so taking the beginner class is just a start. See what other advanced classes they have. If you're not 100% sure you're going to ride then go cheap, like others have stated. Once you do decide to ride then spend the money and get quality.

I have little doubt if you do get into it the 883 won't be in your garage for very long. Good luck and safe riding.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I took the class in Ohio a few years ago. I had kept my "M" endorsement but wanted a refresher after not riding for years. Take it. Especially as a new rider - the things taught can save your life, you will learn correct riding skills and techniques. They give you a little riding test at the end, all of which you did at some point during the class. If you pass, you can go get your "M" endorsement the next day - you don't need to take the state test. The other advantage is that it will lower your insurance.

Also, they do supply the helmet if you need one. But, do you really want to wear a helmet full of someone else's head lice? (Just kidding - probably not that bad). If you can, go buy one. Get some gloves and over the ankle sneakers will do. They require a long sleeve shirt if its summer. Most of the guys wore white long sleeve shirts. We took it in the middle of July and cooked on the asphalt. But you get breaks and they tell you to bring plenty to drink.

Also, its only $25. Go for it. You really will learn alot.

Quick Reply: First time rider. Lots of questions!