General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Like a Pro course

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:37 PM
jackets
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Like a Pro course

Took the 4 hour course this morning and glad I did. Still lots of room for improvement in controlling my RK in tighter turns than I thought possible, but the fundamentals are there. Only dropped it once, and that was a controlled landing.

The instructor Scott Ford was an excellent teacher. The skills he developed in his 14 year moto cop career are damn impressive.

Looking forward to going back. Pay once and return as often you'd like for a year. That's a good deal I think!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by jackets
Took the 4 hour course this morning and glad I did. Still lots of room for improvement in controlling my RK in tighter turns than I thought possible, but the fundamentals are there. Only dropped it once, and that was a controlled landing.

The instructor Scott Ford was an excellent teacher. The skills he developed in his 14 year moto cop career are damn impressive.

Looking forward to going back. Pay once and return as often you'd like for a year. That's a good deal I think!
How much was it? I've done the DVD and it helped a bunch, but I'm sure it's nothing like live, hands on instruction.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 AM
jackets
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
How much was it? I've done the DVD and it helped a bunch, but I'm sure it's nothing like live, hands on instruction.
$150 here in GA. I heard yesterday that there is a franchise in CO.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,922 Likes on 8,433 Posts

I've watched the DVD and I find that the training in regular speed movements is more useful than the circus or entertainment riding, i.e. riding the cone course, slow speed straight line etc. I've never encountered cones set 2' apart on the road that I had to ride between.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Larry Ashcraft
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm taking the course next Sunday with my brother in Colorado Springs. Looking forward to it.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

ANYBODY can ride a motorcycle at speed thru "not so tight places". But somebody who can ride a motorcycle slow thru "circus" cone courses can ride a motorcycle whenever and wherever they like.

If the tight stuff makes you uncomfortable, you really aren't controlling the motorcycle. The motorcycle is just taking you for a ride until you reach your skill limit. Avoiding situations that make a not so skilled rider uncomfortable doesn't always work. You just can't control your environment 100% of the time when you're riding

There are a lot of folks who equate riding 30 years for 30 years experience. It isn't the same. This isn't a popular opinion around here with folks, but the old adages "You can't teach someone something they think they already know" and "you don't know what you don't know" really ring true.

Good on ya OP for getting some good training and having the courage to put yourself out there and learn some new skills.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 06-24-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the class with the Colorado franchise a couple summers ago. Informative, helpful and fun. Felix and his staff have got their stuff together.