General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for an new guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 PM
hull_viper2
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for an new guy

So my wife and I are looking at getting a bike soon. We are looking a getting a Heritage so we can cruise around together. Depending on what I can find and the price will determine whether or not we get a used or new one. I am looking for any tips or advice on how to buy one, what kind of gear I (we) should get and any riding tips. I bought a helmet and gloves today in preparation of my upcoming MSF Basic Riders Course, so that part is done. If it makes any difference I live in El Paso Mexico....I mean Texas. Barnett Harley is the only place I know of that I can buy from with some piece of mind that I didn't get totally ripped off or buy a lemon. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome to the forum..you mentioned the MSF, how much time do you have on a bike? im asking because a harley is a huge investment for someone that hasnt ridden much or not at all

Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

On ours for 2 up I added the touring seat, touring sissy bar pad, and floorboards on our 07
Heritage.
The front seat it Great, at least for me, Only thing I'd added for me was the fully adjustable highway pegs on my Engine guards.. Those really helped my comfort on long rides and trips.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 PM
T.W.Dustin
Tourer

Welcome! The MSF course is a great idea, maybe even have your wife take the class too it's a great investment. What are your riding plans and what is your build? It makes a big difference on what you will be comfortable with. I am 6'3" and 250 and the softail was a no-go for me and the wife (5'9" 140) 2 up. I had one. We do 300+ a day on the Road King.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I wouldn't ride 2 up until you get some experience solo. At least 3k miles. Try to ride in the rain, and gravel solo before hitting it 2up.

It is a lot harder to handle a bike 2up. You don't want to make your first panic stop 2up.
Good luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,410 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by hull_viper2
So my wife and I are looking at getting a bike soon. We are looking a getting a Heritage so we can cruise around together. Depending on what I can find and the price will determine whether or not we get a used or new one. I am looking for any tips or advice on how to buy one, what kind of gear I (we) should get and any riding tips. I bought a helmet and gloves today in preparation of my upcoming MSF Basic Riders Course, so that part is done. If it makes any difference I live in El Paso Mexico....I mean Texas. Barnett Harley is the only place I know of that I can buy from with some piece of mind that I didn't get totally ripped off or buy a lemon. Thanks in advance.
Go used and look for one with low mileage like 3 to 5,000 Miles
Don't get anything older then 2007
Be very very patient looking and you will find your price and a nice bike to boot !

Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse

Go used and look for one with low mileage like 3 to 5,000 Miles
Don't get anything older then 2007
Be very very patient looking and you will find your price and a nice bike to boot !
I wouldn't hesitate to get a 2002-2006 bike. My 88/5speed runs great. Perfect for 2 lanes. For riding over 70 mph, a 6th gear would be nice. But a lot more complaints about heat on '07 and newer.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 PM
hull_viper2
Stage III

I am a total cherry with 0 miles or experience under my belt. I am 5'11" 220lbs. My wife and i like the old classic look of the heritage, thats why we've narrowed it down to that. I told my wife today that when we do make the purchase that i will need some time to learn the bike before we ride together. Some guys in my unit said they will take me out to help teach me some stuff and get some experience once i buy. I have been told and read here that i should buy used first. Everything i have seen is so far is high on miles AND price. Barnett has an 04 Fatboy with 7800 miles for $14k and its a 2 seater. Its nice and as much as i love the look of the fatboy, i have been told by the dealer and again read here that their wheels are not for a beginner with the strong winds we have here. If i am going to spend $15k or more on a bike, i might as well buy new...at least thats how i see it. I know its an investment. I have wanted a bike for a long time but just never got one. Well now that the kids are grown, its time. Im not looking to go tear the rubber off the thing, just to go out and cruise around and enjoy life (and the scenery) with my wife. Until i feel comfortable with it, i wont hit the highway here as traffic is retarded and people dont know how to drive.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by hull_viper2
Im not looking to go tear the rubber off the thing, just to go out and cruise around and enjoy life (and the scenery) with my wife. Until i feel comfortable with it, i wont hit the highway here as traffic is retarded and people dont know how to drive.
Your comment shows your inexperience/lack of understanding. Experienced or not, riding on a highway is far safer then riding, cruising, around town. 'Around town' is where 'people that don't know how to drive' are far more likely to cause you and your wife harm.

It's not what you want to hear, but I agree with deano360's advice. Your primary concern, being a beginner that doesn't know how to ride, should be getting some skills/experience and not about a 'lemon'. I have seen many new riders over the last 46 years, very few, percentage wise, rode for a long time.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't get all wound up worrying about what bike to get. Take the MSF course, pay attention, and go from there.

Do you know any riders that will take you out on some easy rides once you get your license? Learning from a patient experienced rider is the best way. Trying to ride above your ability with a group of hot dogs, is the worst way though.

Quick Reply: Advice for an new guy