General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Service take it where i bought it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts
Default 1st Service take it where i bought it?

So im coming up on my 1st 1,000k Service. I love the dealership were i bought my bike from but its an hour away. I also like the dealership thats close to me only 16 minutes away. Do dealers get pissed when you take a new bike to them that you didnt buy there! Only reason im asking is because when i go to the dealer thats close to me and buy something for my bike that i didnt buy there they always ask me were i got my bike from and when i tell them they act surprised and disapointed. I would think they would want your buisness reguardless? Harley is Harley does it really matter?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Dealers are all independently run businesses, in that regard Harley is not Harley. That said, you can take your bike anywhere you want for service, you can even do it yourself. I think the dealer near you would be happy to perform your 1K service, they probably make a nice profit on that.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:52 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

I had pretty much the same dilemma; I elected to take it to the dealer where I bought it, even though its over an hour away. I figured that they had more 'invested' in me as a customer than the dealer where I didn't buy it. That being said, if you trust either to do the professional thing...probably doesn't matter.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Dealers are all independently run businesses, in that regard Harley is not Harley. That said, you can take your bike anywhere you want for service, you can even do it yourself. I think the dealer near you would be happy to perform your 1K service, they probably make a nice profit on that.
I always take the new Harleys i buy in for the 1st 1k service.. Then i do most of the service like changing fluids and stuff myself afterwards. Im gong to call and see what they both charge for it and take it from there i think! From what i hear its like $300 big ones which is crazy to me. But i like them to go over the enter bike for me for the first time let them tighten things up along with the fluid change! Especially with all these Hydraulic clutch failers and break line recalls that affect the CVO and other touring models!!!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my own 1,000 mile service after the dealer quoted me $400.00. I asked them if I could see the "check list sheet" they use and the mechanic gave me a copy. I then proceeded to go thru it and do all the items the dealer would of done. It's just basic stuff that anyone with even a minimal amount of mechanical knowledge could do. Probably saved over $300.00 which I can spend on some "goodies" for the steed!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I took mine back to where I bought it but I found out another dealership was closer...and cheaper...so I started going there. As for doing it myself, I used to in the 70s but with all of the changes to bikes now days, there's no way I'd even try it.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take it to any HD dealer/tech.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Bocefus
Banned

If I was gonna pay some one to do it, I would take it to where I bought mine. But, my salesman has called me a couple times just to check on me, the bike, and to see if we need anything. He is building a relationship between the dealership and me. For that, I would go there. However, I work on my own ****.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member

Find a good INDY if you don't want to wrench it yourself... I try to stay away from the STEALERS at all cost...But thats just me..

Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hour ride is always nice.....though I agree....go with an indy.

Quick Reply: 1st Service take it where i bought it?