General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding skills ... what can you improve for a better and safer ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Default Riding skills ... what can you improve for a better and safer ride?

I'm just posting this to see what other riders do or what they don't do that can improve one's riding skills and safety, cuz today I found out what I could improve on after a near miss on a cage in front of me in the stop n' go freeway traffic, I wanted to get into the middle lane in slow stop and go heavy traffic and I nearly crashed into the right rear of a stopped cage in the left lane after taking too long of a look over my right shoulder to see if middle lane was clear enough to get over, was doing maybe 30-35mph, I could have reached out and touched the car, another 1/10th of a sec. ...SPLAT !, had to change my britches when I got home.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:29 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe most of us, if not all, can improve in any number of areas. Braking, cornering, situational awareness, etc.

I'm a proponent of taking the MSF basic rider course, the MSF advanced rider course, then take a racing school class. I favor Keith Code's California Superbike School, but there are several reputable firms that offer such training.

It's called a 'racing' school but in fact you will learn improvements to basic riding skills. I wound up cornering with a whole different technique after I took the Keith Code training.

Finally, I think we should be actively learning throughout our careers as riders. I'm planning to take another Keith Code class (they call it Level 2) at the end of this summer. I took the other course back in the Fall of 08 and it's time for another round (BTW, I took the MSF Advance Riders course last month. Great course). The bonus of a 'racing' school is the opportunity to run around a race track. Another reason I like Code is they allow you to use your own bike, if you wish.

The advantage of taking formal courses, MSF and/or racing-school, is that they will allow you to step outside your normal riding routine and try something a little more daring, e.g., cornering with a little more authority, braking a little harder than you might normally do. This 'daringness' will pay dividends on the street when you're faced with a situation that's outside the 'norm' and you have no choice but to exercise your skills at a higher level than you're called on to use in day-to-day, routine riding...

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 08-01-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Great advice Alan.
I bought Code's book "A Twist of the Wrist" and by trying some of the techniques outlined in it, it has allowed me to experience some "Ah ha" moments.
I think his school is worth looking into, even tho we may not be interested in racing.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Dave97402
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find situational circumstances is huge sometimes. I learned for instance, when approaching a intersection, following a truck or van type vehicle, you should not ride in a position that keeps you hidden until you are in the intersection. I was following and put my self in position so that I could tell if the light was remaining green or not. In reality I should have dropped back enough to be able to see over...not slide to the side to see around. No accident, but the guy waiting to turn at his red light did not see me and just about clipped me. It would have been his fault, but I could have done better in keeping myself in position to be seen easier.

Something to think about

Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I find that by being relatively new (not to riding but took a very long break), that my awareness has gotten much better since I'm constantly on the lookout and haven't hit that almost passive attention that we sometimes get after driving a car for 30+years.

But I have two areas that I feel I constantly need to work on... From a dead stop turning in either direction, I just feel like I'm not doing it quickly or sharply enough. Also today I had my first ride with others ever, I was leading down a very twisty turny mountain descent, the road was really narrow and I felt super jittery every time a car was coming up around a corner. I almost felt like I was target fixating and adjusting my line in the wrong way or tapping my brakes when I shouldn't. Just need more practice, practice, practice.

I'd like to get some of those videos that people recommend as well. I've done both the basic course and a version of the advanced in a 1 on 1 atmosphere since there were no groups scheduled for the next couple of months.

By the way, LOVE that color scheme and set up on your RKC

Old 08-01-2014, 05:31 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's easy to get too comfortable when you've been riding a long time. I kick myself in the a$$ each time I find myself daydreaming or not scanning well enough when I'm riding. So, those are primary focus areas for me.

Same thing goes for pre-ride checks. Easy to get lazy, so I try to be consistent on checking my ride before I take off each time, even when I don't feel like it.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:42 PM
jmalmsteen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first book I would recommend is "Proficient Riding," by David Hough. He has something like a million miles of riding experience and writes a column for Motorcycle Consumer News. I'm reading it again right now. I have read every book I could find. The other one I really like is "Smooth Riding, The Pridmore Way," by Reg Pridmore. Reg and his son Jason run one of those race schools.
To take a class at a track, keep in mind that you need full race leathers, race boots, gloves, a full face helmet and a bike that is race prepped. If you rent one of their bikes, it will be a race replica. You will also be going 100+ mph in the straights if you don't plan on getting run over. Guys on sport bikes take these classes, so also keep in mind who you will be riding with.
MSF classes are great. Do it every season if you can. I took it initially on their bike to get my license, but have gone back and done it on the bikes that I actually ride. Like someone said in the thread about tiered licensing, it's nice knowing that you could pass the test on your actual bike, not a 250 cc rebel.

Last edited by jmalmsteen; 08-01-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

All great points here on staying alert, situational awareness, and anticipation of what's ahead of you. I also found it very helpful to learn and practice the slow speed skills you see in the Ride Like A Pro videos.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
All great points here on staying alert, situational awareness, and anticipation of what's ahead of you. I also found it very helpful to learn and practice the slow speed skills you see in the Ride Like A Pro videos.

I have a bad habit of looking around left and right too long instead of forward, I say to myself... listen mr. sightseer, pay attention of what's ahead of you !

Old 08-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
I have a bad habit of looking around left and right too long instead of forward, I say to myself... listen mr. sightseer, pay attention of what's ahead of you !
The wife used to always ask when we got to a stop "Did you see ......?". I guess she got tired of getting the same smart *** answer about where would she rather I be looking because she finally quit asking. Luckily I have some nice out of the way roads nearby where I can look around a little bit but I reserve that little bit of sightseeing for those roads.

Quick Reply: Riding skills ... what can you improve for a better and safer ride?