General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I may have made a mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM
calvinhebb
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 HD FXSTB night train. I decided to put a detachable sissy bar on it so my wife can ride more. I removed the negative cable as is suggested in the directions. I began the work to change the turn signals so the bar would fit and realized I did not have the correct star bit to remove a couple of the necessary bolts. I just figured I would put it back together and tackle the project once I got the tool. When I went to reattach the negative cable, the bolt that screws into the battery fell. I have looked everywhere. I got a light and magnet, I looked under and all around the bike. I cant find it anywhere. I have lots of extra nuts and bolts so I don't need the specific bolt, but I am afraid it fell somewhere that it could do damage if started. The way the bike is tilted on the kick stand, it should have fallen toward the belt. It appears to be very possible that it fell into the housing where the belt drive is located. <-- I may not be getting all the terminology correct. I am not a mechanic at all. I only tackled the sissy bars because the Harley shop said it was a piece of cake. Please help!!! Summer will be over very soon!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wayne Hebb
calvinhebb@yahoo.com

If it is possible for a bolt to fall into it, what is theist way to find out if it did. And if so, how do you get it out?? I thought about getting a video camera on a snake like the type used in plumbing. or is it better to just remove the cover

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-15-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

My experience has been that when a bolt, screw, washer, etc. drops it somehow goes a long ways from where I think it should be, usually halfway across the garage and it takes me damn near forever to find it. Take out the battery and see if it is down there. I have gone through the same situation as you several times and was as worried as you and never has it resulted in any damage to the bike.

Take a chance. Live dangerously. Hook the battery back up, crank the bike, put it in gear and move it very slowly for about 5-10 feet and you will know if the bolt is caught in the belt and will have not caused any damage. There are a lot of little nooks and crannies on the bike for that bolt to hide and not cause any damage. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:33 PM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,994 Likes on 683 Posts

^^^what he said^^^ OR...
Turn the bike upside down and give it a good shake...sorry I couldn't resist.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or don't actually start it up but just push it a couple of feet forward or back

Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,688 Likes on 11,284 Posts

Find a replacement bolt and ride it, most times the screw or bolt will fall off harmlessly.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior

I lost a bolt last year installing midframe deflectors. Thought it maybe fell into the belt area and into the primary. Wound up it slipped down the top of the transmission between the tranny and the starter sitting on top of the tranny. There are grooves in the top of the transmission under the starter that can hide it well. Got a magnetized screwdriver, stuck it in there and surprise! Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM
calvinhebb
Stage III

I did try to shake it back and forth a few times, but I heard nothing. I am going to try several other things before actually taking anything apart or taking the bike to a shop. I just don't want to cause expensive damage.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior

Another thing you can try is a leaf blower if you have one. I highly doubt it's in your primary.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Haha. You have no idea how many times I've done stuff like that. It's there. Pull the battery. Try dropping another bolt and see where it goes. After an hour or so just say to hell with it.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Hate it when that **** happens.

Quick Reply: Help! I may have made a mistake!