General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare with night rod after 600kms

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 AM
nick.ivan
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare with night rod after 600kms

Hi all, i recently purchased a 2014 night rod special brand new. Ive had it for three months now and last sunday on my ride my clutch just went on me, almost caused an accident, after ive pulled up and inspected the bike ive noticed the clutch fluid pissed out where the cable reached the clutch on the bottom right hand side. my bike was saturated in the fluid, over the exhaust, motor, frame, rims and rear tyre.. Anyways harley road side assist take my bike to a holding yard for the night being a sunday afternoon, allowing the dot 4 fluid to sink in nice and good, then drop it off at the harley dealer on monday around 12ish.

the dealer calls me and tells me that the gasket was fkd and the bolt came loose allowing all the fluid to leak out and told me they fixed it all and washed my bike. Now i ask them what about the rear tyre, the fluid that went everywhere and tell them im well aware of what dot 4 brake fluid is and how it causes cosmetic damage, eats paint and even rudder, but no rear tyre replacement, Told me that they are 100% sure my paint will be fine and bla bla bla,

This is unacceptable. brand new bike with only 600kms on it and this happens, Is there any actions i can take to take this further, personaly i believe they should give me a new bike. in weeks, months or even years its all gonna start peeling away, in my opinion that bike is ****ed, i even told them that in my owners manual it states a caution about the fluid and how damaging it is. yet they say the book is lieing if you can believe that!

Im in Sydney btw

Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 AM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say there is zero chance you're gonna get a new bike. Keep records of everything and when the paint does start to look messed up, or the tire starts to bubble, you can go back to them.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

What does brake fluid have to do with the clutch???

Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang8998
Knowing, is half the battle!

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/engli...ch_fluid_dot_4

Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang8998
has a hydraulic clutch. uses dot4 brake fluid.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
has a hydraulic clutch. uses dot4 brake fluid.
Gotcha...OP said cable and I was a bit confused.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by nick.ivan

This is unacceptable. brand new bike with only 600kms on it and this happens, Is there any actions i can take to take this further,
personaly i believe they should give me a new bike. in weeks, months or even years its all gonna start peeling away, in my opinion that bike is ****ed, i even told them that in my owners manual it states a caution about the fluid and how damaging it is. yet they say the book is lieing if you can believe that!

Im in Sydney btw
It's a machine, and sometimes stuff breaks.
No matter who the manufacturer is, parts break.

They will fix your bike.

They will not give you a new bike over something as minor as this.

In fact no manufacturer will ever give you a new vehicle in a situation like this.
If you have enough problems with the vehicle, sometimes a manufacturer will "buy back" your vehicle.
But a direct swap out for a new one will never happen.

Originally Posted by Whoknew72
I'd say there is zero chance you're gonna get a new bike. Keep records of everything and when the paint does start to look messed up, or the tire starts to bubble, you can go back to them.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts
Default So let me get this straight

A 2 dollar part breaks (BTW 2 dollar parts break on Bentleys too), the dealer fixes the bike, cleans the bike doesnt bust your sack and your bit*hing on a what if?? DOT 4 wont eat a tire on a spray that was removed. Your paint, get an affidavit of acknowlegement so you have something. Stop whining, you ride an HD.

Hate to say it but this summer, how many 1st post whiners have we had here?

Beleive me, no one here is happy to see a fellow owner have any issues, does it suck - yes. Is it a nightmare? nah..

Last edited by uncle kebo; 08-27-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

**** happens. If it keeps happening, then perhaps you may have a case. But unless Australian consumer laws are hilariously pro-consumer, then you are facing the awful truth that you had a motorcycle that leaked some fluid, did not kill you, did not cause an accident and has now been fixed.

Your tire will be fine. Wash it thoroughly if you're really that concerned, but DOT4 eating through rubber is a problem if you keep it in contact with rubber hoses. On your (about to be thoroughly washed) tire is kind of a non-issue.

If there was an issue with your paint, you would know it by now - DOT4 kills paint on contact, not slowly weeks afterward.

Now ride on and try not to be so whiney.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:11 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Brake fluid does no harm to rubber. Your brake system has many rubber parts.

Quick Reply: Nightmare with night rod after 600kms