General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrying extra gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts
Default Carrying extra gasoline

I was curious on how many of you carry extra gasoline. For those that do, what exactly do you use to carry it and how.

Lately, I find myself taking random roads and have gotten sort of lost, in very rural areas. The last time I did this, I ran out of gas and switched over to reserve. It took me a long time to find a gas station and I was getting worried. My 95 Heritage owners manual says it holds 4.5 gallons including reserve. When I filled up, it took 4.513 gallons. Basically, I was running on fumes. I didn't have a spare gas can with me or a gps. My company cell phone is very crappy and doesn't have a gps app even though the phone itself I think has a GPS receiver. My bike is carbureted of course, so yes, there is such a thing as a petcock and a reserve.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Carry gas with you? Not a good idea. What if you go down or wreck? You will look like a Roman candle on the 4th of July!

I stop when I get to the 40 miles left mark, fill up and go get lost again. Not many places in this world anymore that you can truly be lost.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Nah, my dad taught me never to pass up a gas station when you hit half a tank. I can do about 230 miles on a tank if need be. But I'm usually looking for the next stop around 140.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. On longer trips I carry about three liters of gas in MSR fuel bottles in the saddle bags.

Considering that they are 1) inside a spun aluminium bottle meant to carry fuel; 2) packed into the saddle bag; and 3) protected by the crash bars surrounding the saddlebag, I'm not as concerned about those three liters as I am of the six gallons in the gas tank when it comes to flaming pyres.

I realize that three liters isn't going to get me far, but considering an average of 38-42 mpg, it'll at least get me another 15-20 miles down the road (or back the way I came) which should be far enough to reach some semblance of civilization.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:10 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I use a 1 gal container.

Don't worry about carrying extra gas. Most ADV around-the-world riders carry extra fuel. There are many options depending on your needs and budget. Some are simple and others quite elaborate.

A buddy of mine who does long distance rides on his Sporty of 6k+ miles at a time has a 5 gal auxiliary tank plumbed to the bike's tank. He has an almost 400 mile range.

RotoPax makes some pretty cool gas cans in several different sizes. They have a trick way of attaching them to the bike.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:20 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't have to worry about that. At 64 my bladder is knocking way before the tank is empty.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:45 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wlbowers
I don't have to worry about that. At 64 my bladder is knocking way before the tank is empty.
I'm 64 tomorrow and know exactly what you mean!

Old 08-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Originally Posted by wlbowers
yeah, but pouring something out is different than pouring something in unless you pee gasoline. Where this happens to me there are no houses stores or anything around, so pissing is not a problem in the side of the road.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:25 AM
m6zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I use a 1 gal container.

Don't worry about carrying extra gas. Most ADV around-the-world riders carry extra fuel. There are many options depending on your needs and budget. Some are simple and others quite elaborate.

A buddy of mine who does long distance rides on his Sporty of 6k+ miles at a time has a 5 gal auxiliary tank plumbed to the bike's tank. He has an almost 400 mile range.

RotoPax makes some pretty cool gas cans in several different sizes. They have a trick way of attaching them to the bike.

+1 on the 1gal container. I used to keep the container in one of the saddlebags at all times. I would use it and refill it once a week to keep it fresh. I never had to use it, but I've come pretty close before.

My last bike didn't have bags, so I stopped carrying extra gas, but now that I'm on the SGS, I'll probably start doing it again.

Random, funny realization - the bikes I had with bags had fuel gauges and I carried extra gas. The bike that didn't have bags also didn't have a fuel gauge and I never carried extra gas....hmmm...

Old 08-30-2014, 01:57 AM
Dyna_Syx
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.hard-luck-designs.com/--FUEL-SLINGS.html

No, I'm not affiliated with this company.
But, I have been looking at these as I also ride in the middle of nowhere.

Quick Reply: Carrying extra gasoline