General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking through or over windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM
btrain77
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking through or over windshield

Just looking for a general point of view. I have a 15 inch stock windshield on my 2014 limited and like it a lot. I can hear the sould system much better and noticed a huge difference in wind noise in the helmet.
Having said that, I have yet to get caught in a heavy downpour day or night on this new ride. I have had to ride in many downpours before but not with a tall windshield.
Is there a product that can be applied to the surface to help keep the view clear (like rain-x on a car windshield)?
Thanks for any opinions.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Btrain, that's tuff one to solve. Rain-x shouldn't be used on our Lexan windshields. I've been caught in some heavy rain a few times and the water flows away ok on the front. But in rain that lasts more than a few minutes, it ends up on the Back too! I found out early on that you can't use your helmet shield because that adds A THIRD surface for you to have to see though. I end up slowing down (of course) and "peeking" around the WS when I need to see better. Put on your hazards (both turn signal buttons at the same time). If it gets bad enough you've got to pull under an overpass and wait it out so you don't get run over by a cage in a hurry.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have only read about this product --

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ter-repellent/

Old 09-01-2014, 08:31 AM
JIMFXDC2013
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer one I can see over, doesn't provide the same wind protection but I don't have to deal with looking through all the bug splatter either.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

keep you windshield clean and the rain rolls off of it quick enough.
With your full face, stick your head up high in the wind and look 90 degrees left then right. It will clear the face shield.

Stopping under a bridge is dangerous and more than that for novices that are afraid of getting wet.

Suit up, and ride on...

Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Get a Recurve shield from Long Ride Shields or Fastaire. allows you to look over the shield, while still having the wind protection of a taller shield.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Bonzai
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
Put on your hazards (both turn signal buttons at the same time).

Most states do not allow driving with hazard lights on, you can get ticketed.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/hazard-light-use/

Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonzai
Most states do not allow driving with hazard lights on, you can get ticketed.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/hazard-light-use/
I read your link and I disagree with your assumption.

Most states it is permitted, or for traffic hazard, or emergency. That would permit use in a rain hard enough to limit visibility and speed.

In fact, my state, Florida, states they are not permitted. I've used them for years and thousands of vehicles use them every time we get one of our common heavy rains.

I always turn mine on when I have to begin riding slower. I don't want someone hitting me from behind. No state I've ridden in yet has ever ticketed me for it.

The only comment I've ever heard about them is a guy that followed me in a gas station to get gas and commented how bright they were.

I usually find I can ride as fast as traffic or faster no matter how hard the rain. As long as it is not pooling in ruts and there is open highway, I keep moving.

As a side note: It seems running the emergency flashers burn through your turn signal bulbs faster. Maybe it is just the number of times they have to flash over an extended period, but I can definitely tell it shortens their life. I replaced the 2 front ones Saturday at Chester HD for $10.55. I knew I would pay a premium, but had no idea it would be that much. At least I got a free hotdog and hamburger before leaving.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-01-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 AM
cajun555
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I prefer to look over than through a shield. I've been riding before at night, real humid and had the shield fog up completly at times. Not very often but a few times.

Nothing better than a good heavy rain, bug guts covering shield, rain melting guts and rolling off shield back on you.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

I just got a, I think 8" "wind splitter" w/s from the HD dealer a couple of months ago. I like it, for the most part, the only thing I don't like it the little bit of bent reflection below the curved side of the w/s. It throws the wind up and out sort of, the only thing is I haven't had the wife on the back yet. Hopefully it deflects the air up high enough. I guess we'll find out tomorrow, headed to Charleston for a few days get away...

With that windshield, I do get a bit of air, which helps during these 100 degree heat index days. Helps me cool off a bit more than the stock w/s.

As for a product..I dunno, if you're going fast enough, it'll blow off, the slow speeds...I just look around the edge to blow water off my shades...

Quick Reply: Looking through or over windshield