General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input wanted.. 883 head/cam/1250 upgrade vs big twin

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:43 AM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Input wanted.. 883 head/cam/1250 upgrade vs big twin

Already have my upgrade plan outlined for this winter. I just wanted a non-Sporty specific board's opinion on where I am.

2014 Iron, first bike, absolutely love it. I'm 5'6 and not all that big, so I worry about the extra weight of a bigger bike. I like the 'smaller' Sporty frame for that reason. I mainly ride under 75mph, only occasionally out for hours-long rides through the country, don't really plan on any cross-country trips. I'd probably do limited 2-up, mostly solo riding for me.

My plan is to send my heads to NRHS for work, get those back along with new cams and their 1250 kit to have a shop put onto my bike. Their website (and Dan @ NRHS) quote $1785 for that work and the parts. The shop has a dyno and he's a tuning wizard.

Only larger bikes that I really, really like are the Fat Bob and the Breakout. I like the Street Bob, but prefer the Fat Bob or Breakout. I don't want a big touring bike yet. If I keep on the upgrade the 883 path, I'll buy a second bike if I do need a touring bike in a few years.

So, am I dumb for wanting to just upgrade the hell out of my current bike? It is paid off, by the way. Just throwing that variable in there too.

Thanks guys

Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 AM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should go test ride a Fat Bob and a Breakout to see if you enjoy one of those more than what you have now. Maybe you'll want to replace your Sportster with one of those, maybe you won't

I would say it could be a waste of money to drop almost $2k in engine mods on a bike that you may or may not still have a year or so from now, as you will be lucky to get any of it back (if you were to trade/sell it). If it were me, I would figure out what bike(s) I would be keeping/buying and spend the fun money there. Test ride some and see what calls to you

Old 09-07-2014, 06:03 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Get the Wiseco reverse dome 1,200 piston kit. The reverse dome of the pistons allow you to forego expensive head work so it it just becomes a matter of boring the cylinders and putting in the new pistons and rings then of course retuning. This is the least expensive route to go and will yield outstanding results. This setup will give quicker throttle response than a stock 1,200 from the factory. The intake valve will still be smaller than a factory 1,200 but will flow at a higher velocity and give a very good burn.

Buzz Buzzelli has written extensively about this in his book The Sportster a Performance Handbook.

The kit is very inexpensive and labor will be less than what your current plan calls for.

Alternatively, test ride a Softail Slim, Breakout, and Low Rider.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been riding a 1200 sportster since 1996 it's taken me everywhere I've wanted to go including cross country a few times. If you enjoy the bike don't let the guys convince you to move to a big twin unless that's what YOU really want. I'm 57 now and will add a touring bike in the near future, but I will always have the sportster in the garage.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:52 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If comfort and size aren't a problem and your happy with the sportster I see no reason to change. I really enjoyed my 883 but I'm a tall guy and got sore and uncomfortable on it as I got older. If that wasn't a problem for me I would still have it. Also ended up having a back surgery and that done me in. I needed a laid back recliner to ride so ended up with a Wide Glide. It has the 88 big twin and I'm sure a 1200 sporty would eat my *** for breakfast. Anyway I'm telling you all this because I went to a big twin out of necessity, not for status or social standing. Sounds like you love your bike and it's PAID FOR so continue to enjoy it regardless of what any " big twin owners" have to say.

If you want a fast Harley I'd say a hopped up sporty would be hard to beat. I rode a friends 1993 1200 that's been hopped up and it would pull the front tire up on command. It's old and leaks oil but now I know why he loves it so much, it's a blast!

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 09-07-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

A well set up NRHS 1250 would be a total rush to ride; nimble, torquey and quick like no big twin bike. I had a 100hp Sporty years ago and it is still the most fun I've had riding a Harley. I now tour on an Fat Bob and it's a great bike but it deserves the title "Fat" in it's name. As for the FLH series bikes; I've tried them too and found them basically obese for my style of riding. Comfortable, yes...but too ponderous even with a 120R motor. You may not be money ahead with the upgrade if you ever sell but NRHS is well known in their circle for solid performance work. Anyone can test ride an FLH whenever they want, but the ride on a fast well set up Sporty is known only to a few...

Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on what you told us it seems like the Sporty is the right bike for you.

I would test ride a FB and BO just to reassure yourself.