General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Troubled times/ sportster build

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:57 PM
WiscoKid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troubled times/ sportster build

This past fall I decided to get my son his first harley. He is 19 and has been a god kid for the most part. He has a lot of riding experience off road and a little on the street. He expressed he wanted to ride so I figured being his father it was time to step up and show him the ways I have learned to stay safe over the years. I also figured it's better I show him safety than have him jump on a friends bike at college and severely hurt himself or even kill himself. I could never live with myself if something bad happened to him and I did not take the time to show him the right way to ride. We are both really looking forward to riding and spending time together. This is the one thing we have in common that we both love. I wasn't a good father and was never around for my son when he was younger and I am hoping this can help make up for lost time and allow me to have a relationship with him.
I do not have a lot of $$, so to purchase him a good bike to start out on wasn't going to be an easy task. After looking around on Craigslist and eBay and locally I just couldn't find the right bike. I have always been extremely cheap and have always liked to find that turd and polish it into a diamond. Finally i found a 2007 xl 1200c. Bike had been in an accident but not bad. Just under 8000 miles on her. This was perfect. I wanted to have a project to do with my son and know he will really learn the bike through and through. We decided to make a nice bobber out of it. Yes I know it's been a trendy thing with these hipsters in women's jeans, flannel shirts and their beards riding around on there sportsters with there old school open faced helmets. But that's what my son wants, it could be a lot worse, he could be into other things that don't intersest the both of us. I have worked on a couple salvage bikes over the years and it is a way to get on a good bike for cheap. I know all the negatives about them and I know many others on this forum will disagree but like I said I am cheap and don't like new things nor do I have the $. This is how I have survived for years on two wheels.
Back to the bike. This 07 was hit from the rear the fender was dented and the right side foot peg was bent along with some minor scratches. The bike ran and rode just fine. I rode the bike and it rode straight and the engine ran like a Swiss watch. I moved the bike into my living room and we started to take it apart. I was able to reuse the rear fender by cutting off the dented part. All the other parts were stripped off for powder coat and paint except for the frame and wheels. We stripped the bike down to just the engine and frame. We noticed that the swing arm was a little tweaked and one of the front fork tubes was slightly bent. I ordered a new swing arm and a whole new front end. Here is a list of the things we did: chopped rear fender, side mounted license plate, got rid of rear brake light assembly, added LED under fender brake light, added new 3.2 gallon tank with a 2.5 inch tank lift, removed ugly riser on the XL custom and remounted speedo with new risers, did a wire harness tuck to clean up the wires, added new bars and cables and brake lines, added a 160 80 16 tire, wrapped the exhaust with exhaust tape, did a bunch of other things that I can't think of. Anyways the bike looks great, my son can not wait to ride when the snow melts. However ran into a huge problem.
The state of Wisconsin will not allow me to register this bike!! I received a bill of sale from the seller and was told after the bike was fixed I could get it inspected and titled. This was told to me by the seller and the local DMV. Aparantly the vin number on the frame states that this bike has been totaled meaning destroyed,melted, recycled or whatever. It means that the bike does not exist, and can not exist. It seams like I get a different story from every different worker at the DMV. And the seller of the bike is MIA. I got screwed.. This bike is better than new and I can't register it. I'm now looking at having to buy a whole new frame and title. It looks like my days of making **** shine are over. On Previously bikes I always received a salvage title and never tried registering a bike with just a bill of sale. I was suspicious that is why I asked the local DMV before purchasing and was misinformed. Once a vehicle is put into the database as being destroyed it can not ever be registered. Now I have to break the news to my son. Serious winter time blues here. Anyone got a cheap sporty frame and title? Looks like I'll be building this bike twice:ic on_gunhead::icon_gunhe ad::icon _warped:

Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,402 Likes on 520 Posts

Not sure about Wisconsin , but most states allow you to apply for a salvaged title.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM
WiscoKid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the minions at the DMV told me that once it has been claimed destroyed and that it is entered in a national database and can not be issued a title. But who know what to believe from these people. But like I said it seems like I get a different version with every different person I speak to. My luck with getting great deals was bound to run out eventually. I'm gonna have to put the blame on myself and especially the seller since he resold something he claimed he destroyed. I know one thing for sure, by the time I find a whole new frame and title, I could have practically purchased close to new one that is only a couple years old with a clean title. Sometimes when a deal is to good to be true usually it is. Both my son and I will have to learn the hard way. I wish it was legal to restamp a vin!!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:46 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Found some information for you. It appears you can title a salvaged vehicle in Wisconsin. My suggestion is find out who has oversight over safety inspections in Wisconsin. Usually it is the State Police. Contact them directly and leave the DMV out of it. Also, I have some advice for you. Don't take this the wrong way but you are a long winded sort guy. Nothing wrong with that. But when you find out who you need to contact don't get long winded with them. Just stick to the facts and keep it short. Being long winded might appear to make you seem nervous and make them suspicious. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code.../trans/149.pdf

Last edited by martin10; 03-06-2015 at 06:57 AM.