General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Pain between shoulder blades

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Pain between shoulder blades

Thought I would post this up and see if any one else may have had these type of issues. On my RGS got in about 1.5 ride or so Saturday. Started noticing a burning aching pain right between my shoulder blades. I could stretch out for a second or 2 on long stretches but still ached pretty good. Now I have upgraded my seat with a lower back support and have 0 complaints there. I have adjusted my stock bars back about 1 " and the length feels just right. What else should I look for (other then the fountain of youth). Just remember having issues like this last year on the Heritage.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

You already have the rider backrest too so...my guess would be for taller bars...??? Riding position might still be straining upper back.

Anything else trigger the same problem, other than riding? Might want to see a Physical Therapist and have them asses. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:30 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

When I got my 15 RGS any ride long or short was giving me a lower back pain. Rider back rest helped. Then I put the 14" HD Chizeled Bars on and I didn't need the rider back rest anymore. I don't get any other pains now either.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Not an expert here for sure but do have a similar problem. (along with a lot others at 68) That area for me for some reason is sensitive to cause pain for some reason.

On my bike takes at least a 100+ miles to cause a problem. My friends CVO Dana has a narrow BMX straight bars and 5 miles on that thing will cause my clutch hand to actually quit working in my fingers and I have to use my palm. On it, my knuckles face fwd. On mine, there at 45 degrees to the wind and way back. So bar angle and how you are hunched over affects me.

I hit the gym regular. I use a 15lb dumbell in both hands hanging at my wast. I do three sets of about 10 reps in front of a mirror. Sort of a rolling motion isolated to my shoulders. 3 set fwds and 3 set back. Go easy if you try this and work up weight you are comfortable with and reps.. It's easy to fill a burn when doing this, at least for me.

I been traveling for the last few months and when I get back into the gym, it will be 10 lbs and maybe 2 set.

If you can strengthen that area, think it will help. Be forewarned, my brother in law had a similar problem and he had a bad disk way up high causing his pain. Different from the normal low bad disk that causes lower back pain. They actually went thru from the front in his throat to fix it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-20-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Thanks for the tips guys..I have considered bars but didn't want to just start throwing money at it...I am only 5'8" and 14" bars seem huge to me. I do exercise regularly, 5-6 times per week. Run, rowing and some light lifting. Will give working on the shoulders/upper back some more focus and see what happens..

Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

[QUOTE=Ashnic;15952026]Thanks for the tips guys..I have considered bars but didn't want to just start throwing money at it...I am only 5'8" and 14" bars seem huge to me.

I am 5'8" also. The 14" bars I put on aren't really that high. My hands are right at shoulder height. The other thing you need to be aware of when changing the bars is wrist angle. The bars I installed are perfect IMO. When I am holding the grips, my wrist is not twisted or bent. Best ergonomic position, no numbing sensation.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

What did you have before? Did you experience problems with that ride? What are the major differences? It could also be tenseness... you may unconsciously be tensed up due to a new bike and worry. Try to force yourself to relax. it could be something as easy as that.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:32 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I've experienced the same issue with the tightness between my neck and shoulders. I solved that problem by going to taller bars which gave me more flexibility in my arms and shoulders. If you like apes, they make mini-apes that aren't so tall to where the height would be uncomfortable for you. I've even known some that went to bars that had a longer pull back to where the grips were closer to their body and that helped. Good luck

Old 02-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

Back pain is an indication of an imminent heart attack in some women. Have a doc check it out.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

I think wrist angle may have more to do with it..out working on bike earlier and starting really focusing on grip vs tension in my bike and discovered my hands are turned out not straight. When I let go of the grips and straighten my wrist the tension in the center of bike is relieved..
If I go to apes ( I believe 12" is as tall as I would go) how do I know what the wrist angle may be? Also how do they measure apes?

Quick Reply: Pain between shoulder blades