General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Modifications you've done...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:20 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Modifications you've done...

to your bike?
Mine: 1987 FLST.

Removed front fender, light bar, turn signals. Installed "hidden" front turn signals on bottom of fork tins. Replaced front brake rotor with stainless steel drilled disc. Replaced front brake line with 2 piece braided stainless line, tee with pressure switch hidden inside fork tins. Painted stock front wheel spokes and rim red, except for small rim strip that is still chrome (see, still a piece of chrome here and there!). Made stainless 70s buckhorn style 2 piece handlebars w/ 4" extension on 6" straight risers, Pat Kennedy internal throttle, 1973 style master cylinder, with all wires and switches removed from bars to back of fork tins. 3' braided leather "speedometer" hanging from throttle grip. Grips from 50s FL bars, but soon to be replaced with early 70s smooth style.

Installed V-Twin Mfg. rocker clutch kit for Softails, but cable kept breaking due to poor design, so rigging up hydraulic rocker clutch, with Rivera hydraulic tranny side cover connected with handmade solid stainless tubing. Made hand shift lever and linkage, mounted on top motor mount. Shift **** is mesquite with special made silver, brass, and copper pin to attach to lever, similar to knife handle.

60s style tombstone speedometer with braided stainless drive cable. Handmade leather tank divider panel. LePera Cherokee seat with short sissy bar when I ride alone, with Mustang touring seat with tall padded sissy bar when THE MAMA rides behind. Small leather piece behind seat on fender where seat bolt screws into fender. Rear turn signals mounted closer to fender, rear fender trim replaced by handmade leather piece to match tank divider.

Rear mag-type wheel from '92 Sporty painted red to match front wheel. Custom horn mounted between rear of oil tank and fender extension. Plastic fender extension replaced by handmade stainless one.

Front floor boards modified to mount about 4" forward for my long legs. Stock brake pedal cut, bent, welded, and otherwise modified to fit with floor boards. Many fasteners throughout bike replaced with stainless steel.

2-1/4 inch drag pipes with lollipops, bead blasted and painted high temp black, with chrome (did I say that?) heat shields. Custom old-style round air cleaner (chrome, arrgghh!), stock Keihin butterfly carb rejetted for pipes. Oil tank is stock, but will be replaced with round stainless tank in near future. Oil lines are presently braided nylon, dyed red, but soon to be replaced with handmade solid stainless tubing. Entire engine wrinkle-black, except for sides of rocker boxes, cam cover, and inner primary (polished aluminum).

Outer primary painted to match tanks and rear fender sheet metal, except for derby and inspection covers (chrome, ugghh, I'm losing it!) with Rustoleum Hammered Black, a textured rattlecan paint I scored at Wal Mart. Rear fender struts are bead blasted and painted to match fender; front lower legs will be getting the same treatment shortly.

Normally no windshield, but I have a QD Memphis Fats for the winter, and a small handlebar mounted one for long trips in the summer.

Bike currently has over 100k miles on it and crosshatching is still visible on cylinder walls.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:18 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Modifications you've done...

Pococj,

Sounds insane! I like it, do you have any pics?

My FLHTI gets in before Christmas (shipping willing) and so far the two modifications planned at delivery are Screamin' Eagle slip ons and a K&N air filter.

I'll have pics to post as soon as I have the bike.

Mac

Old 12-11-2004, 10:54 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own 2004 deuce,

I mainly put on chrome- inner primary cover,regulater cover,cylender head covers,lower belt guard,tachometer, levers that have a profile of a woman, diamond hand grips diamond foot pegs, diamond brake and shifter peg.

Im sure im missing stuff im always adding more.

David

Old 12-12-2004, 01:02 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

I stuck a pic in the photo gallery. But it has the hand clutch and foot shift while I'm waiting for the rocker clutch assembly and bracket to come back from FabKevin and Buck at Goblin Millworx.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:37 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Just checked out the picture of the scoot, that is one wild ride...it once again demonstrates what is so great about this community. Take a bike, individualize it, and make it yours!

Cheers! And thanks for the info.

Mac

Old 12-13-2004, 05:00 PM
dm_gsxr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeze dude. That's a lot of mods. I figure I'll keep mine to a minimum until it's out of warrenty. I've taken her in for three major repairs in the past two years so mucking about with it is out right now.

I've had the stage one kit installed (air filter and ECM mod), the Screaming Eagle II slash cut pipes installed, I installed the NessTech forward control extenders (3" more foot room), I bought two Corbin seats; a solo and a two-up (got to sell one of them), I'm on my third rear and second front tire, oh and I added a Harley low riser windshield which I really don't like much so I don't put it on but once in a while.

Carl