General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Enclosing flatbed trailer. Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Ultra90Harley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Enclosing flatbed trailer. Ideas

Did some searching and did not find a thread on this topic so here it goes. I have a good dual axle aluminum flatbed trailer. This winter I am planning on taking my bike out west and enjoying some of their warmer weather and taking my bike with me. Because I will be driving through the Midwest, I did not want salt and road grime all over the bike. I am open to ideas on how I can cover up and protect the bike. Thinking about welding together some 1" square tubing and having a tarp made. Anyone else tried this? Called a local canvas shop and they can make up something just like what is on semi's and etc. Suggestions on what to do and not do. You would think someone would build a fiberglass clam cover or something that we could bolt to an existing trailers or something. Checked the internet but could not find anything except to buy a completely new trailer. Called a company that offers prebuilt canvas covers and frame but at a $2000 price tag, I could buy an enclosed trailer. Just do not have the room to store it.

Last edited by Ultra90Harley; 09-10-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: wording
Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM
ronherman
Tourer

I would look into framing it together with some metal studs, brace it properly and then sheet the outside with some sheet metal. probably looking at around a few hundred $ but at least it wont come apart.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Ultra90Harley
Intermediate

Similar concerns about shaking apart. Sheet metal studs, at least the kind used in home construction, are pretty thin and just held together with sheet metal screws. Thought 1" square tubing welded together would offer more stability. Not opposed to going to 1.5" if necessary. Also my thinking was that I would use something like 2" angle around the perimeter to bolt to the floor and along the top to bolt the sides together. Something like that could then be disassembled and removed quickly so the trailer could be used enclosed or open for other misc trailer needs. The sides and across the roof would need tied together. In comparable scale, a semi isn't using much more than that but that is the reason throwing this out for discussion. I may have to give in and purchase aluminum sheeting for the walls to help tie everything together, but hesitated because of wanting to disassemble for multipurpose.