Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

How do I get around Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How do I get around Chicago?

Gonna ride up from Dover, Ohio and attend my GD's boot camp graduation at Great Lakes. How do I avoid Chicago, the traffic + tolls. I dread the thought of goin thru Chicago on the bike.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually your best bet is just timing things right, not arriving during peak traffic. Have rode through Chicago many times without any problems taking 80 to 294.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Gotta agree with 2Paws, from the direction you're coming from, not too many options other than going straight thru. You could come farther west on 88 and then shoot North on 39 up to Rockford, but that's way out of your way, and there is lots of construction from Rockford to Chicago.

Just give yourself plenty of time, try not to come thru during peak traffic times, and you'll be fine.

On a positive note, Great Lakes is along the lake, so just hug the lake going North, lots of nice riding!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Was afraid of that, thanx much guys! Livin where I live, I can ride forever w/o even seein a stop sign let alone a traffic jam. Oh well, gotta do what yah gotta do. Thanx again!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
hoosierjeff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out lake express.com. I did this a few years ago. Its pretty cool. Would be out of the way but it avoids Chicago and u could check out the HD museum.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Originally Posted by hoosierjeff
Check out lake express.com. I did this a few years ago. Its pretty cool. Would be out of the way but it avoids Chicago and u could check out the HD museum.
Interesting, but way out of my way. Done the HD museum a couple times, great stop.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Gotta agree with 2Paws, from the direction you're coming from, not too many options other than going straight thru. You could come farther west on 88 and then shoot North on 39 up to Rockford, but that's way out of your way, and there is lots of construction from Rockford to Chicago.

Just give yourself plenty of time, try not to come thru during peak traffic times, and you'll be fine.

On a positive note, Great Lakes is along the lake, so just hug the lake going North, lots of nice riding!
ditto, but go very fast and dodge the bullets

Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I work outside Chicago during the week and the traffic drives me nuts. It takes some getting used to. As mentioned, avoid the peak times but you will still have traffic, lots of it but hopefully at least you'll be moving. Ride defensively and keep your eyes open, there are quite a few idiots up here.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:42 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I live a couple miles west of Great Lakes NTC.

Not just time of day, but day of the week come into play.

Avoiding tolls means taking I-94 through town, continuing north on US 41 to IL 137. Alternatively, you could cruise Lake Shore Drive to the north side of Chicago, and find your way back to the expressway, or take it slow through the suburban streets to your destination.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Handlebarmike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go thru the Chicago on I-94 after 9 at night ....should not be too bad ,, but still be extra careful of idiots and use all your senses..and you'll get thru alive...safe trip..

Quick Reply: How do I get around Chicago?