Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike conversions....who's the best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 09:18 PM
TVtommy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trike conversions....who's the best?

Thanks for reading....

Thinking of converting my '09 ultra to a trike.....who does the best work?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Lehman trikes maybe?

They have been converting 2 wheels for sometime. Harley used them for a year or two. Learned the how to and then went on their own and kicked them out. Or something like that.
Other may chime in who know more then I do regarding this info.

Also, may get more info n the trike section.

Good luck.

YB

Old 12-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

Lehman from what I have seen. Frankenstien is popular too at some of Harley shops I have visited that do conversions. Also have Mystic if you want the independent rear suspension.

Last edited by Jaystn62; 12-04-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:40 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

roadsmith. highly recommend anything with independent suspension.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:06 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Seems there are some that know nothing about trikes chipping in on their opinion. Lehman, Frankenstein and Mystic??? (Mystery maybe) are NOT the best. There is nothing wrong with them but saying they are the best is like saying Ford or Chevy is the best when Rolls Royce, Mercedes, and others are around. My opinion on who is best is somewhere between Roadsmith, CSC, Champion, and Hannigan. Those are the 4 MAJOR players in my book. There are others like DFT that make good trike kits too. Lehman is a Harley with a different name and even though they have been making trikes a long time, they are not the best. They were about the last to finally come up with a IRS suspension and they didn't do that till Champion bought them out. As I said, there is nothing wrong with Frankenstein or Lehman, but they are not the best. If you are seriously looking to convert, take everything into consideration. Get a raked tree for the front, think about getting reverse (mechanical, not electric), and test ride some and see if you prefer IRS which I personally think is great, or if you like solid, or if it even matters to you. Think about the length and width. All are NOT created equal. For example, the CSC is a long trike. The rear axle is BEHIND the passenger rather than under the passengers butt. Longer and wider = smoother ride. IRS vs solid. Full body or not and who works on which makes in your area. Those things, plus your finances will lead you in the right direction. Do it and don't look back. You won't regret it. One thing I will caution you about. Avoid getting pieces parts and doing it yourself. Get a kit. That way you know all the pieces work together. When you buy a kit, you can option the hell out of it too. Lights, trunk liners, rakes, reverse, bras, bumpers, wheels, paint choices, etc.

Last edited by roadking2000; 12-05-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I'll jump in here with this: The largest producer of trike kits for GoldWings is Motor Trike. They are the second oldest manufacturer, behind Lehman. The others came after. So, I would certainly call Motor Trike one of the best. Long wheelbase does not automatically guarantee smoother ride. It can, however, make the trike more cumbersome in tighter spaces. It's the suspension that contributes the most to how the trike handles and rides. Read articles, visit websites, ask owners. Investigate and choose carefully.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:37 PM
TVtommy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy copy guys, thank you...

This was just the first step in what will be a long stretch of research on this project.....this is what winters are for in the upper Midwest. ��

Old 12-05-2015, 08:59 PM
crnt918
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

We rented a Tri-Glide a couple of times, really liked it, but noted the dislikes. After doing the research, we decided to do the Hannigan Transformer conversion. Scheduled for late February, can't wait.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TVtommy
Thanks for reading....

Thinking of converting my '09 ultra to a trike.....who does the best work?

Thanks in advance!
First look at the trike manufacture styling that appeals to you. Then research the shops that installs the trike kit that your interested in having installed. Traveling farther for a better shop will be worth it in the long run.

I would suggest you add in the expense of changing your rear sprocket and belt along with the possibility of the front sprocket to raise the rpms needed to make 6th gear usable riding a trike.

If your 09 has the 32/66 sprockets and belt, your 6th gear will be almost useless unless your riding on flat roads. You will want at the minimum 32/70 ratio. Better yet 30/70 will raise the rpms and give you more usable power in both 5th and 6th gear on the highway for both passing and climbing the mountains

Old 12-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Alienwulf
Supporter
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As said do the research prices for full conversion come in close to each other. You do want raked tree and reverse for sure add to the cost but worth every penny. I have a 2008 Champion on my 93 FLHS love it. Straight axle dual disk brakes and very sure footed in the corners. Reverse I do not use to often but when needed glade it is there. After you decide which take a long look at where as the installer makes all the difference in the end.

Attached Thumbnails Trike conversions....who's the best?-20151027_091012.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trike conversions....who's the best?