Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Rear Brakes In a Lehman Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM
mazzurco
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brakes In a Lehman Trike?

Been talking to a guy about a late model HDLehman conversion on a trike the paper works states it has drum brakes in the rear that are automotive. No disc's brakes in the rear, is that normal?With 2 disc's in the front and drums in the rear is that adequate?Is there a upgrade to rear disc's. Sorry for all the questions but I'm knew to the trike world and living in California there is only one dealer and not much info. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brakes In a Lehman Trike?

Lehman has already gone into their second generation of DISC brakes, as of this past October, they no longer offer Drum brakes... On the Touring HD's

The current version is Wilwood 4 piston calipers, on a "Top-Hat" type drum/disc... the parking brake is drum type.... This was brought over from the Monarch (Goldwing) product line, with a few mds and updates....

I liked the prior version, with a 2 piston caliper, and a lever activated pinch type caliper for the parking brake....

Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 PM
mazzurco
Cruiser

Thanks shovelhead I knew that didn,t sound right.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mazzurco

Thanks shovelhead I knew that didn,t sound right.
Hi Gary,
Are you pretty close to dropping a dime on a trike rig? Seems like you're leaning toward a Lehman.

Hack

Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
mazzurco
Cruiser

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger Hack just not many trikes in my area> I was told it is because of the way they license a trike in California.A trike is considered a vehicle not a motorcycle so that kills you withthe emission's.Trikesdon't pass the emissions. Not much for sale in my area dam near got to travel aways to look or see something.I have learned over the years not to rush into just buying anything I'm waiting to find one that is outfitted like I want or at least close. I have not even road one yet but as you know if I want to ride it's got to have 3 wheels.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-24-2023)
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the ladies (Wild Wanda) in our TRI group in MD/Norva is wanting to sell her Lehman 03 custom painted Ultra and get a Honda. She had a 1500 converted but her hubby got her to change to H-D. SHe doesn't like the heat.

Has disc upgrade, floor boards and custom paint.

I told her last weekend to join the forum and list it. Unfortunately, we are on the tother coast.

Did you get the TRI post card?

Price

Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you were to get a Harley/Lehman with rear drums, you won't have any stopping power issues. They work just fine, but they can be a pain to get properly adjusted. They do not self adjust.That just isn't a good thing if you have to clamp them down real hard to avoid the nut stopping suddenly in front of you. I have one and after several failed attempts to obtain a Lehman disc conversion kit, I gave up and built my own. It's amazing the lengths Lehman went to just to disguise all the various parts of different Ford rear ends they used. They told me I had to order a new rear end for $4,000 and they no longer offered the disc brake kit for the FLHT. I told them no thanks and designed and built my own system for around $300.

Goose_NC (04-24-2023)
Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the stopping power to be adequate...I mean my old Astro Van had disc front brakes and drum rear brakes, as did most cagers for some time, and it always stopped even when pulling my Boat. On the other hand, disc brakes are much better, and that is why almost everything is going that way now.

Goose_NC (04-24-2023)
Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree. Drums are good brakes and I have read a few articles written by people that are "experts" who will tell you there is not that much difference in braking performance. When you go to the disc...you shed a few extra pounds, a couple of handfuls of parts, no adjustments needed and ease of maintenance. Besides...they look cool too. Disc brake conversion kits for cagers have been around for years. When Lehman told me I could not have one from them for my trike and this was way too complicated for me to undertake....that's all it took for me to convert my Renegade kit myself. There are thousands of spare and slightly used caliper options out there and you don't have to pay SSBC, WILWOOD, Hayes, Brembo or anybody else a butt-load of cash for a pair either.

Goose_NC (04-24-2023)
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Hawkeye
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mazzurco -

I'm about an hour north of you in Pleasanton and have three trikes in my garage: his, hers and ours.

The scoop you're getting on the registration of trikes in California is incorrect. All three of mine are licensed on California paper as motorcycles and not subject to emissions testing. In the six years I've been on three, all in California, I've never had to have any of them emissions tested.

My first trike (one of the three I still have) is a 2002 FLHT with a Lehman Renegade kit. It has drum rear brakes as does my wife's 2004 FXSTS with Lehman Bandit kit. Both have stop-on-a-dime braking power. My 2007 Ultra with Champion kit has rear discs, will stop on a dime and give you change back.

I love to talk trikes. If you'd like more info or would like to get together sometime shoot me an email and we'll hook up.

Goose_NC (04-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes In a Lehman Trike?