Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Security system question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Skuter Trash
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system question

I bought a used '06 Road King, and I seem to have hit a snag. I have a Thunder Max in it, and a Thunder heart speedo has replaced the factory module. For what its worth, I don't like the 'new' speedo at all. It doesn't behave like a stock unit, and doesn't show codes, etc. Anyways, to my question;

I want to put in a security system, specifically I Want the fob setup. I have a friend who has a bunch of old ECM's, but we have no way to know which ones have security and which do not. The Dealer said mine was sold with a security system in it, but that has been changed out, there is none now.

Is there any way to test the old ECM's to see if one has security in it, and if so, can I reprogram it without knowing the original owners code? A new ECM is crazy expensive, and I'm hoping for a way around.

I Searched the forum, but did not see this addressed. Thanks

Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Skuter Trash
5th Gear
Exclamation Reworded the question to make it simpler, I hope!

Man, oh man! I figured this was a tough question. So far there have been 137 views, and not ONE answer? Perhaps I need to read that as "Sorry, you're screwed"? I HATE to have to throw money at a problem, but I guess I have no choice to try to come up with $400.00 for a new H-D TSSM and fob from the dealer and have them install it. Maybe I need to SHORTEN my question and rephrase it? I'll try again;

1. Can a person TEST a used ECM to see if it is a TSSM or just a TSM?

2. Can you REPROGRAM a TSSM if you do NOT know the code?

Thanks, Guys - I'm afraid I ,might be screwed.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Skuter Trash
Man, oh man! I figured this was a tough question. So far there have been 137 views, and not ONE answer? Perhaps I need to read that as "Sorry, you're screwed"? I HATE to have to throw money at a problem, but I guess I have no choice to try to come up with $400.00 for a new H-D TSSM and fob from the dealer and have them install it. Maybe I need to SHORTEN my question and rephrase it? I'll try again;

1. Can a person TEST a used ECM to see if it is a TSSM or just a TSM?

2. Can you REPROGRAM a TSSM if you do NOT know the code?

Thanks, Guys - I'm afraid I ,might be screwed.

Your question is confusing to say the least as you have not done any homework at all.

Firstly the ECM does not control the security on the bike so changing ECM's is pointless.

Secondly security on the bike is handled by the Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM)

Now you may only have a TSM (Turn Signal Module) currently and you would need to get a TSSM with a FOB OR one that you know the manual unlock code for and marry it to you ECM.

So now I bet my answer has brought up some more questions such as how do you marry a TSSM with a ECM and what is a manual unlock code??? and how do you enter one or find out what one is.

So once you have read this and have figured out what you need let us know.

BTW make sure you get a TSSM for you model bike because they also control the tip over shutdown and if you put one from a model that has it positioned differently then the bike will not start..............

Old 01-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

This addresses how to "remove" a security system ... maybe it will lead you in the right direction

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...ml#post7910911

Old 01-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Skuter Trash
5th Gear

Originally Posted by scotty3
Your question is confusing to say the least as you have not done any homework at all.

Firstly the ECM does not control the security on the bike so changing ECM's is pointless.

Secondly security on the bike is handled by the Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM)

Now you may only have a TSM (Turn Signal Module) currently and you would need to get a TSSM with a FOB OR one that you know the manual unlock code for and marry it to you ECM.

So now I bet my answer has brought up some more questions such as how do you marry a TSSM with a ECM and what is a manual unlock code??? and how do you enter one or find out what one is.

So once you have read this and have figured out what you need let us know.

BTW make sure you get a TSSM for you model bike because they also control the tip over shutdown and if you put one from a model that has it positioned differently then the bike will not start..............
Scotty, You are right. I don't know what I don't know! I did not know that I need a TSSM that is SPECIFIC for my bike, but that makes sense. My bike currently has a TSM in it, and I want a TSSM. My question that I poorly stated was how do I get info out of a TSM or a TSSM to find out which it is, and what bike it is for? A friend has salvaged a BOX of them, and they are not marked as to what bike or which type of module they are. IS there a way to test - or interrogate - them to see who is who? And if I find a TSSM that is for a Road King, can it be reprogrammed or cleared so I can reprogram it? I know you can marry a fob to a TSSM, i just am having a hell of a time coming up with one that i can use. Actually, I'm trying to DO some homework, and thats why I'm asking. There are not any how - to or 'DIY' manuals I have found. I have learned some about marrying the TSSM and ECM, but yeah - for the most part I'm befuddled, thats why I came to ya'll - so, thanks in advance. I've got a long way to go. First Harley, don't ya know...

Old 01-17-2015, 08:18 PM
rlast1
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a speedo from my 2006 Road king that was removed when new. It had five miles on it.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Skuter Trash
Scotty, You are right. I don't know what I don't know! I did not know that I need a TSSM that is SPECIFIC for my bike, but that makes sense. My bike currently has a TSM in it, and I want a TSSM. My question that I poorly stated was how do I get info out of a TSM or a TSSM to find out which it is, and what bike it is for? A friend has salvaged a BOX of them, and they are not marked as to what bike or which type of module they are. IS there a way to test - or interrogate - them to see who is who? And if I find a TSSM that is for a Road King, can it be reprogrammed or cleared so I can reprogram it? I know you can marry a fob to a TSSM, i just am having a hell of a time coming up with one that i can use. Actually, I'm trying to DO some homework, and thats why I'm asking. There are not any how - to or 'DIY' manuals I have found. I have learned some about marrying the TSSM and ECM, but yeah - for the most part I'm befuddled, thats why I came to ya'll - so, thanks in advance. I've got a long way to go. First Harley, don't ya know...
Ok you need to look at the TSM's he has and they should have a sticker on them with the part number and you looking for one with the number 68922-00D

No way to check if it locked or not without installing it and marrying it and seeing if it starts.

If it is locked then throw it in bin as there is now way to unlock without the fob or access code.

You could get lucky and if it was removed in a unlocked state then you should be able to marry a new fob and put in a new access code.

Of course this is based on a stock ECM being in the bike because with the TMAX I am not certain what happens...............

Old 01-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Skuter Trash
5th Gear

Scotty, you seem to be on point. At least I know now what to look for with the TSSM's. It will take some time, but to go forward at least I know. Now, as to how that works (or doesn't) with a ThunderMax, well thats gonna be another story. Anyhow, thanks a bunch!

rlast, PM sent. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a Thundermax ECM with a Dakota Digital speedometer on my bike and the stock alarm works fine.

It sounds like you are missing the factory alarm - or it could have a dead battery (9v).

Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Skuter Trash
5th Gear

Next In Line, I think the Thunder Heart is really the sticking point. I have found a used stock speedo, and am going to put it in before I go any further. I'm getting some really good advice and solid help here. It does not have a TSSM in it now, but I'm looking at getting one - or an aftermarket system)! I hope I can figure out a way to balance the scales for y'all sometime.

Last edited by Skuter Trash; 01-20-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Security system question