Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Completely Disabling Buttonless Fob Security Systems ('07 up)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Completely Disabling Buttonless Fob Security Systems ('07 up)

For those of you do-it-yourselfers out there (like me) who don't want to have to make the trip to the dealer every time they want something done, let me relate my experience with removing the TSSM non-pushbutton security system on my '08 Ultra. This may work for other bikes, but I'm not a factory mechanic - so I can only confirm that this will work on '07 and later touring. One of the advantages of doing this yourself is that you can keep your original module (along with a printout of this post) and re-install it at any time without another trip to the dealer, or if the bike's new owner wants a security system.
The factory security system is contained within the Turn Signal Module (TSM), which becomes a Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM) when it is so equipped. If you are disabling the TSSM (do NOT want a security system on your bike) then you have a TSSM installed now, HD p/n 68924-07. This is a roughly cone-shaped device in a black plastic case, mounted vertically under the seat and to the right (starboard) side. Mine was held down with a silver metal clip. The first thing we need to do is replace this item with a NON-security equipped TSM.
So before you go hunting for the TSSM on your bike and removing it, buy the part you're going to replace it with - in this case, HD p/n 68920-07. They are $114 new from Harley, but I found many on eBay and bought one for $24.95 including shipping to my door. You will also need (highly recommended) a 2 amp (or so) motorcycle battery charger to complete the job safely.
Okay - now, we have everything we need to do the job completely. Find the TSSM under the seat of your bike, remove the clip, and lift it out. There will be TWO connectors plugged in to it; remove both. Note that one of the plugs is larger than the other - this is the input, ECM, and turn signal connector - we will use this again. The smaller plug is the output for pager and siren - tape that one up to protect it and set it aside for now. Plug the larger plug into your new TSM, and slide the assembly back into place, carefully storing the loose connector where it won't rattle or take too much wear.
Whoa. That's it?
Nope. If you try to start your bike at this point, it will rumble and die, and you'll be cursing me for life. The bike knows that the security system has been compromised, and is trying to protect you, the owner. Getting it to feel all warm and fuzzy about its new body parts takes another half an hour - which kind of discourages the swap-out-and-quick-getaway-routine by a more unscrupulous rider who just happens to be enamored with your new paint job.
In the next step, we're going to have the bike's ignition (and lighting) on for more than half an hour, so here's the part where we plug in a 2 amp battery charger to keep things live. With the battery charger hooked up, perform the following:

1. Be sure the ignition has been OFF for 15 seconds or more before starting the procedure.
2. Set Run/Off switch to RUN.
3. Turn ignition key on, do not start. Verify that the Check Engine Light and Security Light come on, and wait for them to go out.
4. Attempt a normal start with the Start button. Engine should come to life and then die. The Check Engine Light should light up and stay on.
5. Wait ten seconds. The Security Light now comes on. The ECM has now entered communication mode with the TSM for the next ten minutes. Look at your watch and do something else for the next ten minutes, but don't shut off the bike, let the battery die, flip any switches, or unplug anything electrical. Just polish the fenders or something.
6. In ten minutes, the security light will turn off. Within 15 seconds, turn the ignition key Off and back On. This Off-On motion should be crisp, completed in two seconds or less. The Security Light comes back on, and you have another ten minute wait.
7. When the Security light goes out again, repeat step six.
8. When the Security Light goes out this time, do the Off-On thing, then when the Security Light comes back on again, shut the ignition OFF. Wait at least 15 seconds, during which time you should be (carefully) unplugging your battery charger (unplug from the wall outlet, then from the bike, right...?).
9. With 15 seconds or more gone by, turn your ignition on, confirm the Run button, confirm neutral, and start your bike. You've created a happy marriage between your ECM and the new TSM, and you no longer have to worry about having a key fob or memorizing a security code. Now you can just worry about someone riding off with your bike whilst you're suckin down a brew in the local pub - use the fork lock!
If you're like me, you'll never remember all this two years from now when you're selling your bike, so print this out, take the battery out of your key fob, and put the fob, TSSM, and this paper in a ziplock bag and store it wherever you would go to look for it two years from now. Happy riding!

The following 13 users liked this post by Nexus9:
ClifWideGlide (03-19-2022), Darrell07FLHR (04-09-2019), epurea1963 (08-22-2023), imbuhlman (11-02-2016), Jeffrey Long (02-27-2017), Kesha (08-12-2020), Markfish54 (11-01-2016), mikeemagee (06-30-2022), MXJunky (12-09-2021), NiteOwl (01-13-2023), RiverB (08-20-2021), Robert Wyatt (02-05-2020), SaddleBronc (05-18-2021) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Or you could simply set your PIN to all zeros, that will disable the security as well. Good write up though.

The following 2 users liked this post by harleytuner:
Robert Wyatt (02-05-2020), Vincent 2008FLHRC (06-18-2022)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM
streetglide44
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought you couldn't set it to zero.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:31 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetglide44
Thought you couldn't set it to zero.
You're right, my bad. It's been awhile since i've had access to Digital Tech ('08). I believe it was the key fob part we could set to all zeros to disable the security.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 PM
sunkenscum
Stage I

I have an 07 nightster, just put in a new battery, took out the stock HD p/n 68924-07 and replaced it with the HD p/n 68920-07. Did all the steps exactly and it starts and dies. HELP!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Nexus9
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi SS,

Hate it when that happens. Unfortunately, a Nightster would not fall in the category of 07 and later Touring, and would have different electronics and ECU.

I do try to be responsible for all my posts, but as I said, I'm not a technician, and just did the research for the 07 later touring. Have you tried a google search for the Sportster/Nightster model? I'm sure that a dealer is not going to reveal the procedure to you for free, so that won't help. If you put the stock turn signal module back in, will the bike at least run? Has anybody on the forum changed out a TSSM on a Sportster, who could help SS out?

Jon

Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

My fibs seem to die at the most inopportune (asked the wife to spell that) times. I had to learn my code and how to enter it. Once I learned how it was really simple.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IBGary
My fibs seem to die at the most inopportune (asked the wife to spell that) times. I had to learn my code and how to enter it. Once I learned how it was really simple.

Shoulda asked her how to spell fobs. haha

porkster (07-12-2022), Ultar Rich (07-06-2020)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Harley Tuner is right. Dealer can set the system to all zeros. They did it to mine for nuthin.

Harley Tuner. You got anything to do with the old Roeder HD?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Harley Tuner is right. Dealer can set the system to all zeros. They did it to mine for nuthin.

Harley Tuner. You got anything to do with the old Roeder HD?
I used to work for the old Roeder's HD in Sandusky, till they went out of business. The old owners brother (who used to do all the machine and headwork for the dealership) started up Roeder Racing after the dealership closed. I work for him at his shop, we are a full service shop and we have a full machine shop for the perfomance work. we are also a used bike dealer.

Robert Wyatt (02-05-2020), Vincent 2008FLHRC (06-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Completely Disabling Buttonless Fob Security Systems ('07 up)