Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning spark timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 AM
Stych
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning spark timing

Hi all,

I've read tons of great threads on setting and tweaking VE & AFR tables, but what about spark timing? I know that I can add timing and then have it pulled back to stop pinging with some autotune sessions, but I'm not sure if that's really optimum for the overall tune. Any input much appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day.

Stych

Old 01-15-2015, 08:39 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Stych
Hi all,

I've read tons of great threads on setting and tweaking VE & AFR tables, but what about spark timing? I know that I can add timing and then have it pulled back to stop pinging with some autotune sessions, but I'm not sure if that's really optimum for the overall tune. Any input much appreciated. Thanks, and have a great day.

Stych
You may want to read the manual again. Autotune does not adjust timing (unless you have the Autotune Pro set-up with the wide band sensors).

Start by looking at your datalogs to see if any spark nock events are present.

You can advance the spark a few degrees and run a new datalog. Then you can address any knock events....or you can use Log Tuner to process your tune. Log Tuner will reduce spark based on logged knock events. It is very useful when working with timing.

You will have to make a small change in Log Tuner to get it to run with current versions of software. It is well documented in this section.

The following users liked this post:
Jae30001 (06-17-2022)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Stych
Cruiser

I have, it does, I have, there are, I did, and I did.

I can tune the knock events out easily enough. The question is, is THAT (maximum spark advance without pinging/knocking) the best place to be?

Thanks again,

Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Stych
I have, it does, I have, there are, I did, and I did.

I can tune the knock events out easily enough. The question is, is THAT (maximum spark advance without pinging/knocking) the best place to be?

Thanks again,
Generally speaking, It's not good to be on the ragged edge of spark knock. Conditions can and will change. You should probably have a few degrees of margin built in....otherwise bad/marginal gas, hot weather, and hard acceleration (to name a few) can cause problems.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Stych
Cruiser

Cool, I can manage that easy enough... In about four months, when we start riding up here again, lol. Thanks,

Stych