Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

13 SG Crank and no start...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 AM
huddy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 13 SG Crank and no start...help

I just got done with a 3k ride and she ran great. Got home pulled both front and rear tires. Had them mounted and balanced put them back on and no start. She cranks and no fire. I can hear the fuel pump prime. I disconnected the fuel tank check valve and reconnected, no go. I disconnected the power chip, no go.

Only 20k miles on the bike.

Tomorrow I am getting spark plugs to check the spark.

Is there a way to check the check valve to make sure fuel is going through?

What could it be??
Fuel filter?
Ignition coil?

I will take any help as I have another ride on Sunday!!
Thanx

Old 08-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

If there isn't enough compression detected, it will not spark. I just found this out while researching S&S EZ Start Cams.

Is there a clutch / kickstand safety switch?

Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 AM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

ckp sensor. take plug out lay it on head see if it sparks. if your getting fuel u should see it spray out plug hole. if u get spark and fuel it's crank position sensor

Old 08-28-2015, 11:49 AM
huddy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If there isn't enough compression detected, it will not spark. I just found this out while researching S&S EZ Start Cams.

Is there a clutch / kickstand safety switch?
On my way to buy new plugs, leaving the old ones in to check spark.

No clutch/kick switch. I don't think I would get a crank if it had one.

Thank you!!

Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 PM
huddy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chief08
ckp sensor. take plug out lay it on head see if it sparks. if your getting fuel u should see it spray out plug hole. if u get spark and fuel it's crank position sensor
New sensor, no fire.

Fuel check valve is holding pressure and allowing fuel to pass

Still no spark too...What's next?

Spark cables? I'll test those...

Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 PM
huddy
Cruiser

could this be the coil?

how do i check the coil

Old 08-29-2015, 06:10 AM
chief08
Road Master

how do know it's holding pressure u have fuel pressure gage? check coil with omens meter check resistance. mite get a shop manual it will tell how to check coil. try systems relay. it sends power to fuel pump coil injectors. see if u r getting power to coil.? I hade a car do same thing it was ckp. hope u fix it be for sunday

Old 08-29-2015, 11:23 AM
huddy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chief08
how do know it's holding pressure u have fuel pressure gage? check coil with omens meter check resistance. mite get a shop manual it will tell how to check coil. try systems relay. it sends power to fuel pump coil injectors. see if u r getting power to coil.? I hade a car do same thing it was ckp. hope u fix it be for sunday
I don't have a fuel pressure gage, but I depressed both sides of the check valve and fuel shoots across the room. Then I can repressurize and do it again. I also pulled the plugs after trying to start her and the plugs were wet. So I don't know what the pressure is but I have some.

bought a new systems relay, no go

So this is where I was at yesterday before I got you message. Doing the typical fuel, spark, ignition... thinking. What was new to me was the CKP sensor (Thank you) I didn't know you wouldn't get spark if it were bad. So when I put the new sensor in and still no fire and no spark I was bumming pretty hard. This might mean coil or ECM.

I went with coil first as your suggesting, and its not in the easiest of places! But I went to unplug it an see if I have power to the coil. I hardly touched and the plug fell out!!!! Now I have visually looked at this plug multiple times and it looked like it was plugged in, but it was in a such a small spot I never thought to get my hands on it.

Could this have been it all along you ask!!?? YES!! Had to use a screwdriver to reach it and get it plugged back in, but she fired right up! If your asking how this could have happened... well the other day I was washing the bike and must have been when I was washing around the top of the transmission and nocked it off.

Lessons learned once again. $6 really, $60 CKP sensor and some time and frustration, but still cheaper than a diagnostic test at the dealership.

Thanks for the help!
Huddy

Old 08-29-2015, 03:57 PM
chief08
Road Master

ride on glade u found it guess u will make your ride Sunday