Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuners Simplified

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Tuners Simplified

I have read pages and pages related to ECM management options. I have little experience in ECM so this thread is meant for us less tech advanced. To clear up some questions and help string some information together for us non-professionals and less experienced I though people could benefit from knowing or having a concise answer to the following. Experts please help us out with the following:

Need a list of make / model of:
1. Piggy back systems
2. Piggy back system with auto tune
3. Piggy back system with auto tune that has instant “real time” correction (does not just record data to be mapped for later update but automatically makes changes during ride)
4. Flash tuners
5. Flash Tuners with Auto Tune
6. Flash tuners with auto tune that has instant “real time” correction

What is open loop and closed loop?

I have seen several people in forums suggest they would. NOT put a certain type of tuner on a HD model later than a 2008 model. What type of tuner and why?

O2 Sensors. Some tuners use them some do not. Some recommend plugging bungs, some recommend maintaining factory installed sensors. I could definitely use some more info on 02 sensor stuff.

Throttle delay and tuner impact on throttle delay.

Timing and tuner impact on timing. Correct that both piggy back and flash affect timing?

What is your take on HD stock headers with no CAT vs HD stock headers with CAT removed, vs aftermarket headers (the reason I ask is in considering buying 2009 RK vs a later year model. 2009 the RK did not have CAT and in 2010 they do).

Who uses head pipes without slip ons and what are they?

I have read that Thundermax is outdated tech but has its applications to professionals. I have read that Power Commander 5 is the go to piggy back and Power Commander Vision in the go to flash.

Thanks all. Currently without two wheels. In the market for 2009 or later RK or Glide. Plan to do exhaust (either full or just slip on), A/C, tuner, cams. Plan to do my own work.

Previous bikes include 2 stokes, 1980 Suzuki GS1110L, and Triumph Speed Triple.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:41 PM
jojo1dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

hope someone has the answers, have had three tuners, none have been perfect, some better than others, running the xieds and stock harley tune now, performs as smooth as the others maybe better

Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If I was starting over, I would go straight to Target Tune - Power Vision A little pricey as a combination but well worth it. The guys at www.FuelMotoUSA.com are great to worth with.

PS I have done all 6 versions. Target tune is generally type 6.

Andy

Last edited by whittlebeast; 09-25-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessem
1. Piggy back systems
3. Piggy back system with auto tune that has instant “real time” correction (does not just record data to be mapped for later update but automatically makes changes during ride)
4. Flash tuners
Hi
Re your No.5 - mmm, not all Autotune are equal - what about a No.5a that can tune spark tables, and a 5b that can tune EGR/CDE tables (which is supposed to be particularly relevant to cam changes I believe, although I'm still learning)

Getting access to tables is one thing, but autotune is what the DIY less tech advanced pretty much buy these thing for

Option 7 by the way, is get it done properly - if you can find a good dyno tuner

Last edited by Gordon61; 09-26-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:28 AM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good stuff i need to learn about the differences. I`m planning upgrades on my softail so probably gonna have to upgrade my original FP.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:35 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Hi
Re your No.5 - mmm, not all Autotune are equal - what about a No.5a that can tune spark tables, and a 5b that can tune EGR/CDE tables (which is supposed to be particularly relevant to cam changes I believe, although I'm still learning)

Getting access to tables is one thing, but autotune is what the DIY less tech advanced pretty much buy these thing for

Option 7 by the way, is get it done properly - if you can find a good dyno tuner
Thanks Gordon. What are some examples of your 5a and 5b? Would like to read up on those. Do you know of one that does both? My plan so far is to do a PC-V and just get a map from Fuel Moto, then get a new map from them as I modify. I know it wont be the perfect map, but...

Old 09-26-2015, 08:13 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

We should just outlaw the damned EPA and get these bikes running the way they are suppose to run right from the factory.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks Gordon. What are some examples of your 5a and 5b? Would like to read up on those. Do you know of one that does both? My plan so far is to do a PC-V and just get a map from Fuel Moto, then get a new map from them as I modify. I know it wont be the perfect map, but...
Long story short (...although probably not, I've tried reading those threads) but TTS and PV both seem to have some tuning ability in those regards, but alas not the FP3

Changing your cams is also a bit of a black art and TTS has a set of "settings" available, where as the FP3 seems to suggest you can enter degrees timing - although the numbers for all of the cams in their list suggest more of a rough "settings" approach similar to the TTL (although how 90/338 degrees is supposed to match an Andrews 57h is beyond me??!?)

The PV doesn't seem to support new cams unless you ask your supplier for a map.

On canned maps or getting one from the suppliers ...well there are a ton of threads on whether they may be any good or not. I found one from one of the reliable providers that should have been really close for me ...naw!!

Two guys to read on their words of wisdom ...Steve Cole and Mr Wizard

cheers

Old 09-26-2015, 11:53 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I have read pages and pages related to ECM management options. I have little experience in ECM so this thread is meant for us less tech advanced. To clear up some questions and help string some information together for us non-professionals and less experienced I though people could benefit from knowing or having a concise answer to the following. Experts please help us out with the following:

1. Piggy back systems
4. Flash tuners

What is open loop and closed loop?

I have seen several people in forums suggest they would. NOT put a certain type of tuner on a HD model later than a 2008 model. What type of tuner and why?

O2 Sensors. Some tuners use them some do not. Some recommend plugging bungs, some recommend maintaining factory installed sensors. I could definitely use some more info on 02 sensor stuff.

Throttle delay and tuner impact on throttle delay.

Timing and tuner impact on timing. Correct that both piggy back and flash affect timing?

What is your take on HD stock headers with no CAT vs HD stock headers with CAT removed, vs aftermarket headers (the reason I ask is in considering buying 2009 RK vs a later year model. 2009 the RK did not have CAT and in 2010 they do).

Who uses head pipes without slip ons and what are they?

I have read that Thundermax is outdated tech but has its applications to professionals. I have read that Power Commander 5 is the go to piggy back and Power Commander Vision in the go to flash.

Thanks all. Currently without two wheels. In the market for 2009 or later RK or Glide. Plan to do exhaust (either full or just slip on), A/C, tuner, cams. Plan to do my own work.

Previous bikes include 2 stokes, 1980 Suzuki GS1110L, and Triumph Speed Triple.
The first post in this thread does not answer all your questions, but it does answer a good amount of them. Check it out-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-29-2015, 10:12 AM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask yourself this question right from the start: Am I going to be obsessed with a dyno sheet to brag to everyone?

If you answer yes then just get a PC V and pay someone who knows what they are doing to tune it and you are done.

Now if you answered no to question one ask this question: Am I looking for good drivability. If you answered yes to this then look into one of the tuners that is simple to use, I happen to use the Vance & Hines FP3 and am very happy with it.

I could care less how much horse power and torque a sheet of paper says, I do care about the drivability of the bike.

I am completely happy with my combination on my 2016 Ultra Limited Low. That combination is Vance & Hines Monster Round slip on exhaust, Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner and a Vance & Hines FP3 tuner. In the future I will upgrade to the Vance & Hines Power Duels to get rid of the cat.

Once you have decided what it is you are looking for you can quickly scratch those programmers from your list that don't meet what you are looking for.

Last edited by BillJ; 09-29-2015 at 10:14 AM.