Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Motor Stalls When Warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:39 PM
yorgle7
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Stalls When Warm

I'm experiencing an issue with my '01 Dyna (carb). When the bike warms up, the engine stalls, and it won't restart until it cools a bit. Basically after I wait a few minutes. Then it will only run for a minute or so. I'm pretty sure the issue is related to the ignition. I pulled the spark plug to verify that I could see a spark when it was cold, and then checked again after the bike stalled. So I know there is no spark. After I wait a bit and check again for a spark it is back. Then I pop it back in and it starts again. When it stalls, it pretty much cuts out like a switch is turned off. NO sputtering. I was thinking that it might be a problem with the ignition coil. Maybe there is a slight break somewhere in it that opens when it gets warm. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

My first guess would be the coil. Check all electrical connections, grounds, etc... Could be a bad ground.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

A bad coil can shut the engine down when it gets hot.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a coil go bad on a truck a few years back that did that. When the coil got hot, it would quit sparking. As soon as it cooled down it would work again. The coil itself would get too hot to touch.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:02 PM
mpescatori
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Me too :(

Hi all, Maurizio here from Rome, Italy.

I have a similar problem BUT it's August and the Whole world seems to have gone off on summer vacation.

3 official HD dealerships, 3 closed, 2 indies I know, both closed.

I need help and I need it fast - 80 cu.in. Dyna Evo, carburetted.

I have a similar problem to that described by the OP, only it does it after about 30 mins. running, typically in the afternoon.
In the morning, 07:30-08:00, no problem, but in the afternoon (after 4:30 p.m.) the bike sputters and shuts down.

I checked the plugs, they're White and chafed and I understand this has to do with lean burn.

I changed the plugs three times, but even new plugs will only survive two days - 50 miles' Worth in city traffic.

Then, this morning i noticed something that made my jaw drop.

The plug wire to the rear cylinder is connected to the bottom coil post, instead of the top coil post.

ARE MY PLUG LEADS CONNECTED THE WRONG WAY ROUND ? HAS SOMEONE BEEN TAMPERING WITH THEM ?