Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ThunderMax open loop

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ThunderMax open loop

Has anybody run the ThunderMax in open loop configuration?

How well does it work without the auto-tune?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ThunderMax open loop

Works just fine, but why would you if you have the auto-tune? Seems like a lot of $$$ not to use it. Unless you are going to purchase the unit w/o the auto-tune; but then you are wasting a ton of potential.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
StrGlide
Tourer

I'm looking for riders and\or tuner's results running open loop T-Max only which is the aftermarket equivelent of a SERT. I don't have T-Max and am researching whether it's worth the extra money and installation to convert to closed loop.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know I can help you with the comparison since the TMax is the only unit I have had. I do know that with the auto-tune I don't ever have to pay the stealer for a download. Every week there are downloads from the ThunderMax site with new maps and program upgrades. I figure the fees for downloads from HD (my dealer gets at least $148 per download) it does not take too long to offset the difference. I am not able to do all the changes I want on the bike in one massive visit, so I do what I can when I can and the auto-tune takes care of the adjustment. I can also download/save a complete report on the engine -- rpm ranges every 100 rpm with how many hours, minutes and seconds I have been in that gear; as well as the entire history of the head temps. Don't know if SERT does that or not.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

I will say that the sert is nice and you can record about 30 things the problem with a sert is they are very temperamental with the downloading I have encounter a few errors while downloading a map the last time my laptop crap out on me and whip out my ecm had to get a new one and swore that I will get a tmax trough that pile of junk away or at least until some else brakes then I will put the harly stock ecm back on and take my bike in to get warranty work done.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Mickandmin
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ride is an 07 Fatboy. At 1600kms(1000mls), I had a Tmax without autotune fitted (at the time I didn't know it was an option) along with SE A/C and V&H Bigshot Staggereds. The combination completely changed the bike into what I feel it was designed to be. I have had no problems at all after 4000mls but after reading comments by more learned and experienced owners I think the autotune is the way to go. I didn't know you could get so much info back from the unit to your computer either. Is that an easy thing to do? Do I need to download anything from the Tmax website?

Old 09-02-2007, 06:20 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day,
The A/T option was an extra $700 here in Oz. !! So I don't have it. But I don't need it either. The bike runs perfect, sure some may want more than 99.9% and believe the A/T will do that and it probably will. But I am very happy without it . The dealer loaded a map (before i had a computer), and it was plug and play, (plus the key on/off x 3 thingy). He changed the speedo cal. from a "FL" to the dyna code (that was the closest map), and reduced the idle speed (my request). Remember also that the O2 sensors are just an extra thing to go wrong.Also, you can always change the mixturemanually. I guess the A/T is nice for some , but you asked about bike without it and I can tell you it is still excellent and worth the money. I have since reduced the cold idle warm up time/speed and changed the hot idle again.... and may lean out the "cruize RPM" as the bike is only getting around 35 - 38 mpg ( i converted from metric for ya), and finally there are NO backfires...ever.

Graham (06 dyna).

Old 09-03-2007, 06:12 AM
rlsmith
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just installed Thundermax auto tune, best money I have spent on bike, only mods were SE Air Cleaner and SE exhaust. Only been 50 miles, it just keeps getting better. Seat of pants dyno can feel the increase in performance,, and decrease in temp. Good job from Zippers. Thanks for a product that does what you say it does.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:07 AM
StrGlide
Tourer

Thanks Mates!

You guys from down under have actually answered the question I asked. I know the autotune works well and I'm not looking for replies about autotune. I just wanted to know how it compared for open loop application i.e. Power Commander or SERT.