Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 Rdkng police engine miss

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 PM
shellsburg18
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Rdkng police engine miss

02 Rdkng Police 33K miles. Just ended small road trip and had this miss crop up. Steady HWY speed it would stumble/miss and sometimes cough away from a light. This continued through several tanks of fuel. Not sure were to start. Don't think it's fuel related. F e e l s ... like electrical in nature. Plugs are new...........wires tight etc. Under load and WOT ran fine. (maybe couldn't feel?) bad at steady rpm. Any help appreciated.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM
BOBOLOBO
6th Gear
Default Road King missing

I to have the same problem, missing at at a steady speed under load (above 3500rpms) when I crank it the miss goes away but when I set at a steady speed it returns. I have checked my coil, changed my plug wires and plugs, and Harley said all the codes are OK, I am just giving you some of the things I have done with no avail. My bike is a 2000 Road King, I will stay in touch to see is some one can help both of us.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
mr.hawg.barn
Stage III
Default 02 Ultra Missing, at steady apeed

I have an 02 Ultra with the same problem, I run a shop called The Hawg Barn.L.L.C. This bike came in and does the exact thing, misses at a steady speed or rolling of Throttle during takeoff. I have put on the machine, no codes, i have changed the plugs and plug wires, fuel filter in the tank (EFI), checked the throttle position switch, barometric sensor, and cam shaft sensor, still has the probelm. this is a first for this problem that I have seen. But have run out of trial and error fixes. I to need help with this.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 PM
shellsburg18
3rd Gear

It's in the shop as of now......about a week now. First they had it nailed down to faulty rubber intake connections between intake and heads. Was unridable after that repair. They trailered it back to the shop. As of last call they thinks it's a faulty injector..........keep ya posted.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 AM
BOBOLOBO
6th Gear
Default RK missing

Thanks for keeping us updated, I will be looking at your replys every day. I too checked my intakes and they were alright, also pressured checked my fuel system and that was ok also. I am going to keep checking electrical and will keep you posted, as I think it is electrical, but I don't know.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 AM
mr.hawg.barn
Stage III
Default 02 Ultra Missing, at steady apeed

I checked intake and exhaust manifolds Tuesday on the bike in my shop, and replaced the seals and gaskets. No change in the symptoms. If I discover the problem i will reply to everyone ASAP.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 06:47 AM
BOBOLOBO
6th Gear

SHELLSBURG thinks it might be an injector, what do you think

Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
stroker1948
Cruiser

For some reason, I have found several problems with the wiring connections for the injectors with the 2002 model year bikes. One way to check this is the wiggle test. Start the bike and while idleing use some long needle nose pliers and wiggle the wiring connections for the injector plugs. If it stumbles or misses you have found your problem. I have also found pin holes in the fuel lines, that will cause a pressure drop during acceleration. Check for bubbles in the fuel tank when the fuel pump comes on. If you are sure all the intakes are not leaking, by spraying WD 40 on the connections while the bike is idleing and you get no change in rpm. You are sure the injector wires are good. Then I would use the computer ( daytona twin tec ) to take a reading on all those sensors. You can have one that isn't working correctly, but is still within it's range and it won't trip a trouble code. The problem is either electrical of fuel related. Eliminate one at a time.
For the 2001 bike, that has the stumble problem. That is the M & M system and I would wager it's the throttle position sensor.

Stroker

Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
shellsburg18
3rd Gear

Still waiting on parts.........I guess mines really R A R E......sure ......... Being in mechanic business (heavy equip) I understand parts issues. Keep ya posted.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
mr.hawg.barn
Stage III
Default 02 Ultra Missing, at steady speed

Ihave seen faulty injector wires, some have after some age broke or become cracked, I checked them and they check ok. I have also pulled the fuel pump changed the filter and the corrugated plastic line, also no effect. My daytona twin tech software show no problems as a second option I took this ti Harley and they confirmed they thought these were problems I have changed the Throttle position switch and the Barometric sensor as well as I have seen them go bad and the bike start running lean with a little backfiring as you back off the throttle. Still looking for that magic fix. I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: 02 Rdkng police engine miss